Anthony Osula
Anthony Osula, Doctor
Experience:  MB ChB DRCOG
106915327

I think I have a UTI, will it be okay for me to use my stand

Customer Question

Hello I think I have a UTI , will it be okay for me to use my stand by antibiotics.
JA: Have you used the antibiotics or anything similar before?
Customer: yes
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the UTI?
Customer: no it started about 3 hour's ago,
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I always have stand by antibiotics, as I suffer with asthma and empysema I read the Antibiotics leaflet and it is okay to take them for a UTI, I ended up in Hospital 17 months ago with this and I don't want to go back in hospital that is why I am checking to see if it is okay to take them to avoid going into Hospital.
Expert:  Anthony Osula replied 15 days ago.

Thanks for using just answer

Your UTI only started 3 hrs ago, I'll recommend giving it 24hrs before trying antibiotics

Drink plenty of water, cranberry juce and D-mannose supplements helps

If no difference by tomorrow, then take the antibioitcs usually a 3-day course

People that take antibiotics straight away are those that get recurrent infection like 6 to 8 episodes a year

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I just need to know if it is okay to use my stand by antibiotics,when i was ill last time with a UTI 17 months ago I ended up with urine sepsis I do not want to get that again It happened so fast the last time , all in one day so i need to know if I can start them now please. I am 74.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I dont want to spend more money if you dont want me to start them then i will just phone 111, as i dont want to go into hospital again.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
what a waste of time and money.

Hi, I'm giving you advise as a Dr, if you want to start them now then that is a decision you'll have to make

My advice is limited to computer as I cannot assess you in person and I do not have access to your medical records