Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I have suffered constipation for the las three days in spite

I have suffered constipation for the las three days in spite of taking Fybrogel
JA: How long have you been using Fybogel? Has it helped at all?
Customer: Not really, I go a little bit but although I sit and struggle for 20minutes or more no success
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the constipation?
Customer: Not this week, I do suffer often but not so bad as this
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I do suffer from chronic pancreatitis and diverticula disease

High fiber intake (a lot of vegetables and fruits), exercises, walking, and plenty of fluids always are part of the management of chronic constipation. People who do not respond to this and OTC laxative are advised to take the following medications by prescription;

1) Polyethylene glycol 3350 (Miralax)

2) Lactulose

Following measures can be helpful;

1) Increased fluids

2) Prune juice and dried plums

3) Increased fiber; preparation like Benefiber can be tried.

4) An herbal tea, "Smooth Move," has been found to have a good result in moving the bowel.

5) Toilet after meals; Toileting 15 to 30 minutes after eating makes use of the gastrocolic reflex. The gastrocolic reflex results in propagating spikes in the colon and rectum within half an hour after a meal. When we eat, our stomach distends and this sends reflex signals to the large intestines (colon) facilitating their movements. If one utilizes the next half hour of a meal, for the toilet, the stool elimination time is decreased.

6) Increase in exercise

7) Stimulant laxatives stimulate intestinal motility and increase intestinal secretion. They are anthraquinones (cascara, aloe, and senna) and diphenyl methanes (bisacodyl, sodium picosulfate, phenolphthalein). These may be avoided more than twice a week, though they are effective but can be harmful in the long term.

8) Avoidance of stress

9) Wheat bran, 20 gms per day can decrease the rectal transit time

10) Vegetables,

11) Fruits (especially dried fruits)

12) Cereals like whole wheat, bran, or oatmeal

13) Celery

14) Grainy bread, such as whole wheat, rye, or pumpernickel

15) Legumes, such as chickpeas, baked beans, and lima beans

16) You can try ground flaxseed sprinkled on salads, cooked vegetables, and cereals.

Foods that cause constipation and should be avoided are;

Ice cream

Cheese

Meat / Red meat

Chips, cookies, and pizza

Pastries

Foods that contain white flour

Pasta

Junk food or fast food

Banana.

I wish your symptoms resolve soon.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.
Thanks for using Just Answer.