wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

Is it true that "The use of topiramate after brain injury

Is it true that "The use of topiramate after brain injury may be limited by its effects on cognition and drowsiness." I have benzo brain damage here. My plan is low dose for impulse control issues. Is it definitely ok to use with benzo brain damage? Currently taking tegretol + prozac to manage + seroquel for sleep

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today. We can also chat by hone and skype.

I'm sorry to hear about all you are going through.

Topiramate has not been well studied for use in benzodiazepine dependence or "benzo brain damage".

Also it would not be considered the medication of first choice for issues concerning cognition defects and drowsiness.

So.  What is the take home message?

I would not recommend using topiramate in the situation you have outlined in your post.

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick MD FACS

I hope you feel better soon.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I was speaking with another neurologist here who said he would recommend it (Shakeel Ansir)! I have bad impulse control issues and this might be my only hope! Are you saying this based on the fact that it binds to gaba-a receptors in the brain?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I'm taking carbamazepine + prozac to manage brain damage and the plan with the topamax would be lower dose just for impulse control disorder. Shakeel said to me that benzo's work on the alpha subunit and topamax on the gaba-a beta subunit. It's a drug that might be my only hope for impulses..

I suggest you discuss this in person with your neurologist as there is no black and white answer here.....