Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff, GP
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I am meant to have my prescription for adhd medication but

Customer Question

Hi, I am meant to have my prescription for adhd medication but it has been delayed in the post from the psychiatrist to the pharmacy and now the online pharmacy is closed for the weekend and I don’t have my medication to cover me the weekend. My psychiatrist has written a letter for my doctor confirming the medication I am on so that they might write a prescription and send it today online to a pharmacy near me where I can collect it from. However my doctor’s surgery didn’t pick up the email yesterday and is now closed for the weekend. Is it possible for me to send the letter stating the medication (Concerta) through to one of your doctors and get a prescription sent to my local pharmacy today that I can collect? My psychiatrist said I only need a weeks worth to take me through. Thanks
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: Only Concerta And no I’m not allergic to anything
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No that is all, thank you
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
File attached (VL2176G)
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Sorry that was the wrong letter
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
File attached (PMTM746)
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
That is the letter from my psychiatrist to doctor stating the medication I am on so they can issue a prescription
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 8 days ago.

Good morning, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today

Unfortunately we do not prescribe, you can use 111, or something like Push Doctor which is an Online GP. However often this has to be prescribed by a Psychiatrist only and therefore it is likely you will not be able to get this without a Psychiatrist sorry.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Oh my psychiatrist said the doctor can prescribe me as I’m still under the care of the psychiatrist. I did ask the assistant If the doctors on this forum are able to do prescriptions before paying for this service... not very honest.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
If you can’t prescribe there is no reason for me to pay an additional £35 to hear that on the phone...

I understand, if you were told we can prescribe then this is indeed wrong. If this is the case, please contact customer services to request a refund as they will be able to assist you.

Your GP can have a shared agreement with Psychiatry though, therefore it will need to be your registered GP.