Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I have back and shoulder pain that moves around and comes

Customer Question

Hi , I have back and shoulder pain that moves around and comes and goes, its more nagging than really painful and doesn;t get worse with breathing or exercise. it started around 5 months ago at which point I quit smoking which has helped a bit I also started getting a pain in my abdomen and get quite a lot of burps at times which feels like it relieves the pain at times
JA: Have you used any medication for the shoulder pain?
Customer: no
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the shoulder pain?
Customer: no
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I did suffer from suspected stomach issue in my 20s at which point I went on a detox off alcohol and smoking and this seemed to clear it up and I haven;t suffered since, i'm now 45
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 13 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer or further information request.

Are your shoulder and neck movements painful and restricted?

Do you have increased urinary frequency, urinary burning, heartburn, diarrhea/constipation, nausea, vomiting, fever, loss of appetite, bloating, gas, burping, tenderness on the abdomen?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I can move my shoulder and neck fine, now and again in certain movements my right shoulder can hurt a bit but not a lot, I did put this down to slipping when pushing a car and pulling a muscle but it hasn't gone away. I don;t have urinary burning or an obvious increase in frequency, when I quit smoking I did get some diarrhea but that is a lot better now, no vomiting or fever, no loss of appetite but I do get some gas and quite a lot of burping which feels likes it relieves the back pain briefly and a bit of tenederness/pain in my abdomen on my right side, sometimes at night I get woken by what I think is heartburn or acid indegestion

Thanks for the further information.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 5 minutes.

Unless you wish to speak in person, you can ignore the request for a phone call automatically generated by the website, not by me.

Your abdominal symptoms are likely due to acid reflux. The following would be helpful;

1) antacids; Maalox/Tums

2) acid blocker; Lansoprazole

3) losing weight, if overweight.

4) avoiding alcohol, citrus fruits and juices, chocolate, and tomato-based products

5) avoiding large meals. Eat 5 small meals in a day.

6) wait three hours after the meal before you sleep.

7) elevate the head end of the bed by 8 inches.

Your shoulder has likely tendonitis or bursitis.

Ideally, an MRI should be done.

This will tell, what are the tissues involved:

1) Muscles

2) Joint

3) Ligament

4) Tendon

5) Bursa

6) cartilage

7) Or any combination.

The mainstay of the treatment though is not very different and is;

a) Physical therapy

b) Deep electrotherapy

c) Acupuncture

d) Local analgesic cream

e) Pool therapy/hydrotherapy.

f) Analgesics

g) Lidocaine cream

h) Rest

i) Gentle massage

j) Hot fomentation

You may consult;

1) Orthopedics

2) MD in physical medicine and rehabilitation.

I wish your symptoms resolve soon.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.
Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
thanks for the response, should I be concerned about the back pain that moves around and comes and goes thats relieved breifly by belching

Very welcome.

The esophagus lies in the back portion of the chest. It is not worrisome.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
its the acid from the stomach issues that is creating the backpain are you suggesting?

Yes, that can contribute to the pain caused by a concomitant muscle issue.

If you are worried about heart disease; this is not its symptom. You can confirm it by an EKG and echocardiography.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
ok thanks, ***** ***** a few times a week and the pain never seems to be worse or brought on by it so heart disease wasn't my main concern but its good to hear it isn't likely to be that, I was more concerned if it was to do with my history of smoking and damage to my lungs?

Lung cancer rarely causes intermittent pain or pain on burping.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
the burping more relieves the pain rather than causes it and the pain appears on both sides of my back quite often and occasionaly more centraly as well, mainly around the height of my shoulder blades, somedays are worse than others but generally its just a nagging pain rather than sharp or really painful

As I mentioned these symptoms are likely to be due to muscle issues.

These do not point to cancer of lung or lung symptoms.

You may confirm it by an x-ray.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
ok, it sounds like I am over worrying about it, if you google back pain and ex smoker all you get is lung issues/cancer and after 4 or 5 months of quiting smoking I thought the issues I am experiencing would have completely resolved but it sounds like you think this could all be more down to muscle and acidic stomach issues instead which once resolved should make an improvement?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Im not really someone who complains about pain, just gets on and deals with it but I didn't want to miss something obvious through being stubborn about not addressing it but googling symptoms can be a mine field. You mention Tums, we don;t have them in here in the UK I don't think, are Rennie the same thing?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
do you know if Rennie are the as Tums?
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 12 days ago.

Rennie are same as Tums. You can also take Gelusil instead.