Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I had a bit of blood/spotting after intercourse. my app says

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I had a bit of blood/spotting after sexual intercourse. my app says my period is due in 3 days. Could it be related to that? I’m just concerned of cervical cancer symptoms. However my last HPV Test was in August 2020 and it was negative thank you
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: No pain, very regular periods
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: is this chat free?

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age?

Did you have only one episode of bleeding till now?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi there, age: 42 and yes only episode

Thank you for the reply. Please hold on while I type out your answer. This can take a few minutes.

A single episode of spotting/bleeding after sex is not worrying. Mostly it can simply be due to rough sex, due to injury during sex, specially if there is not enough lubrication. Also women sometimes have bleeding after sex if they have not had sexual intercourse for some time, possibly because of decreased lubrication.

However, if there is repeated bleeding, you should go for a checkup for this. It usually occurs due to chronic infections like cervicitis, due to thinning of the mucosa, cervical polyps, etc. It could also signify more serious causes like cervical dysplasia. Hence you need to get this evaluated as early as possible i you have repeated episodes, you should attend your gynaecologist as soon as possible.

For now, avoid rough sex. Use a lot of lubricants during sex. Preferably use condoms.

But do see your gynae for this if you have repeated bleeding, a gynae checkup is essential for this. You will require tests like a Pap smear. This is most likely due to infections like cervicitis for which you will need antibiotics.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.
If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
The sex wasn’t rough and a condom was used though
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Could it not be some early period blood (which is due in 3 days)?

Yes it could be early period too.

You have to wait and see if your period occurs within one or two days.