DR-MARIA
DR-MARIA, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Expert
111925337

Please advise and explain on the following strange

Please advise and explain on the following strange situation. I can provide eye doctor prescriptions if required...I just bought a new set of long-range spectacles. The previous ones from 2014 were purchased from the same online company in 2014 and worked fine, as did the near vision ones that I bought at the same time.I find that the new spectacles work well for LITERALLY long-distance, and so the prescription is technically correct. They are better than the previous ones in that respect. However, things fall apart at a distance of about three feet or less, in a way that I have never seen before. I find that I cannot see the PC or laptop screen sharply, at the typical distance of 1.5 feet or so. At lunchtime, I made comparison between old and new, and noted that my sandwiches were slightly out of focus compared to the old spectacles. As I added supplement powder to my cat's food, I noted that the powder was out of focus, as was the food itself. It was on the kitchen work-top, at waist height, about two feet from my eyes.Indeed, even a set of glasses from ten years ago, i.e. preceding even my last set from 2014, work WAY better with the computers than the brand new ones. So yes, they work great for literally long distance, but there is a much sharper cut-off in the near distance than I have ever seen before, and I have been wearing spectacles in one form or another since childhood.

Welcome to Just Answer.

I am Dr. Maria.

I would be happy to assist you today.

(I am now available for answering your health questions, through this chat-Typing/Texting format only. I am sorry I will not be able to take any phone calls).

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you. I await your thoughts. Would you like the prescriptions? Maybe you do not need them to answer this general question, but I can provide them if required.

Yes, kindly send me the prescription.

Also a photo of the spectacles the ones you are using now, and the ones before.

Are you using bifocal lens?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Attached are the photos and the associated prescriptions. These are both long distance spectacles. I hope that the photos are satisfactory for your needs.No, I am not. Previously, I ordered two sets. This time, I only ordered the long distance, thinking that the reading glasses that I already have work fine.I await your feedback. Thank you very much.

Thank you for your reply.

I saw all the photos.

The new frame has a slightly wider gap between the two frames. This may affect the stereoscopic vision which focuses on the object we see.

You may try to order a new frame that is similar to the one you used before with the same gap between the two lenses.

Hope this answers your question.

My goal is to give you the best possible experience with Just Answer. If you have further questions kindly let me know. I would be happy to assist you.

Wishing you the best in health and happiness.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for this feedback.The thing is, I have not seen an effect like this in any of the long distance spectacles that I have had since childhood. These may also have differed in gap distance.I am typing this now using my reading glasses from the 2014 prescription. All is clear. When I switch to the new ones, the text is blurred somewhat. It would be irritating to continue. I cannot even use them with the Kindle tablet at all really, without holding the latter about three feet away!Usually, even a long distance prescription allows you to see clearly close up. Actually, I have even used my 2014 long distance spectacle to read from the tablet. I cannot really do that with the present ones without a degree of eye strain after a while.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's not my eyes, because I can still use the old long distance glasses to read and use the computer. In fact, the set preceding even these, i.e. from ten years ago or more, is quite excellent with the computer. The new ones are not.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
One additional point: these new ones have blue light filtering. Might this be a contributory factor?

Thank you for your reply.

Blue light filtering is good for your eyes and it will not contribute to or explain the problem you are facing.

You said you might have used spectacles before with a wide gap and you faced no problem. Then there is another possibility.

The prescription you had before is slightly different from the new one. It usually happens that our eyes need time to adjust to the new frame. It will resolve with continuous use.

If it doesn't resolve with continuous use even after 2 weeks of use, then I recommend to get a second opinion on your eye prescription.

Wishing you all the best in health and happiness.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I appreciate your help. Thank you. Actually, it seems to be a little better already.