Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I am having chronic neck pain every day

Hi i am having chronic neck pain every day

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today.

What is your age, and your gender?
How long have you had this?

Do you have any other symptoms like pins and needles or numbness in the upper limbs/hands, headaches, etc.?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Im 31
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Male
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
It started with back ache top left near my shoulder blade tingling
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Now its mostly my left side of my neck
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Behind my ear
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
i do have headaches
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
My neck is really lumpy too loads of small lumps

How long have you had this?
How bad does it hurt on a scale of 1 to 10?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Just very uncomfortable
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I would say 5 or 6

Ok, can you tell me how long you have had the pain for?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Like a year now

Thank you for your response.

Have you had this seen by your physician or had any workup done for this?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
When i press on the neck muscle behind my ear its sore at the top and bottom
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No i havent gone to see anyone
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The doctor usually tells me i need physio and doesn’t look into it further last time i asked about this

Aright, thank you.
Can you tell me your occupation and if it involves you having to maintain an odd neck or body posture for a long time?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Im a construction supervisor
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have a young child who likes to be put to bed only on one side and thats the side i have a problem with

Thank you for your response.
The area you have pain in corresponds to the trapezius muscle, which originates from the back of the head, neck area and goes down over the back. It is supplied by the spinal accessory nerve, the same nerve that supplies the sternocleidomastoid. So, often a times, any impingement of this nerve can result in spasm of one or both of these muscles. If this were an acute event I would probably also ask you to rest and do some physiotherapy, but since this has been going on for a year now, I will suggest that you ask your physician for some workup. This should include an x-ray of the cervical spine to see if there is any compression due to an abnormal spine curvature in that area or reduced disc space. I will also suggest that your doctor follows that up with an MRI, since that is more sensitive. Conditions like cervical spondylosis which cause narrowing of the c-spine also cause headaches, which is another symptom you have.
Discuss this with your physician and get the workup done. Meanwhile, wear a soft neck collar when you can to off-load the neck muscles and support the head, and start on an anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen (Advil) 400mg thrice a day or Tylenol thrice a day. These measures will provide relief.
Let me know if you have any more queries about this.
Best wishes.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you sir

You bet!
Have a good weekend.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
You too!