Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Consultant Pediatrician at Kanchi Kamakoti CHILDS Trust Hospital
101124971

My little boy 4 and half year old start cough from last

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: My little boy 4 and half year old start cough from last night. I'm worried for him
JA: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: From yesterday
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: There is nothing else
Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani. I have 16 years of experience in the field of Pediatrics at a tertiary care referral hospital. I am currently reviewing your question.Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
I am sorry to ask but -1. Has the kid been exposed to any suspected case of COVID-19?
2. Was there any history of international travel in the past 3 weeks?
3. Is the kid a wheezer?
4. Does the kid have any chronic disease which warrants immunosuppressive medications?
5. How is the kid's activity when the fever touches the base line?
6. What are the other symptoms apart from fever?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi .your all answer is no
Hi...by what you say I feel that your kid is going through a viral illness. This might be a common flu.
There can be many nonspecific symptoms like - headache, tummy pain, vomiting, diarrhea, body pains, cough (occasionally disturbing).
Unless the kid is having decreased urine output/ rash over the body / altered sensorium or respiratory distress you need not worry about it.
I will explain you how a viral illness behaves so that you can be more confident.
Fever of few days without any localizing signs could as well a viral illness. Usually rather than fever, what is more important is the activity of the child, in between 2 fever episodes on the same day. If the kid is active and playing around when there is no fever, it is probably viral illness and it doesn't require antibiotics at all. Once viral fever comes it will there for 4-7 days. So do not worry about duration if the kid is active.
Meanwhile alternate Tylenol and Ibuprofen (Better not in the wake of the current pandemic) if the temperature is more than 100F and keep the kid well hydrated please.I am happy that my interaction was helpful for you and put your mind at ease.In future you can opt me as your favorite medical expert so that you can ask me a question directly. I will be happy to help anytime.If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani