Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  board certified internal medicine
19706630

Can you answer dental inquires? Not yet, No

Customer Question

Hi can you answer dental inquires?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 days ago.
Hi. I’m Dr. Mark. I’m happy to assist you. What is your question?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 days ago.
Most dental questions can be answered online. Often a dental exam and dental X-rays are needed though.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No worries, thank you. Would I be best speaking to a dentist?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 days ago.
I can help you. What is your question?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Is there anything I can do to ease the pain of my inflamed gums surrounding my wisdom tooth?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 days ago.
Pericoronitis?Pericoronitis is an inflammation or swelling of your gum tissue. It’s more common in your lower teeth and it usually happens around your wisdom teeth. Pericoronitis can develop when wisdom teeth only partially erupt (break through the gum). Soft tissue growth over a partially erupted wisdom tooth is called an operculum. Bacteria can get trapped under the operculum. That allows an opening for bacteria to enter around the tooth and cause infection and swelling.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 days ago.
You need a dental exam and X-rays to find the cause. The treatment depends on the specific cause. Here are treatment options.
Treatments for pericoronitis include:Oral hygiene/oral irrigators and rinses: If the pericoronitis is in a small area and hasn’t spread, treatment may be rinsing your mouth with warm salt water. Your dentist can flush out food debris or bacteria, or give you an oral rinse. You’ll need to make sure to keep the gum flap free of any food trapped.
Pain medicine: You can take pain relievers such as aspirin, acetaminophen, or ibuprofen. Your dentist may also prescribe you a pain medication.
Antibiotics: If your tooth, jaw, and cheek are swollen and painful, see your dentist right away. They can treat the infection with antibiotics (usually penicillin, unless you are allergic).
Minor surgery to remove the operculum: If the pain and inflammation are severe, or if the pericoronitis recurs, it may be necessary to have oral surgery to remove the gum flap or wisdom tooth. Your dentist can make the appropriate referral to the oral and maxillofacial surgeon. A low-level laser can be used to reduce pain and inflammation associated with pericoronitis.
Extraction: If a wisdom tooth still can’t come in normally, you may need surgery to have it taken out. Your dentist may recommend you extract both your upper and lower wisdom teeth to prevent your upper tooth from biting your gum and causing another infection.