FarokhW
FarokhW,
Experience:  Expert
112594791

Stiffness/numbness/burning pricking pain on my pinky

Customer Question

Stiffness/numbness/burning pricking pain on my pinky finger/right hand? I’m worried
Expert:  FarokhW replied 12 days ago.

Hello.

My name is***** am an Orthopaedic surgeon and I will try my best to answer your questions today.

May I know how old you are please?

How long have you had these symptoms for?

Do you suffer from any medical conditions such as Diabetes?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I’m 18
I’ve had these sort of symptoms for around 4 weeks now. Been on and off and getting worse and new symptoms every few days. Started off 3 ish weeks ago with facial numbness and
Stiffness on one side which then spread to the back of my neck causing burning pain and stiffness which comes on and off every 4-5 days. Then it spread to my back a week after but only my lower back in the middle. That pain comes on and off, it’s like a burning pain lime someone is pressing on my back. If I. Do too much I feel it sometimes. Then about 4 days ago I got numbness in my left buttox cheek and then it spread to my right cheek, then the back pain came on with it. Then that went off a day after. Then I started to get muscle spasms on my arms, knees/calf and they went stiff too and still feel restricted which as been going on for 3 days now. The spasms are basically on and of all day. Then I started to get burning and pricking in my hands mostly my right which is on ajd off, but my pinky feels stiff and is burning, similar to the pain I get in my back. I have no pain in my back or neck right now. My eyes have also been twitching.
I went to hospital 4 days ago and they did a ct scan and it was normal and also my bloods were normal. I’m waiting on an mri but my symptoms get worse daily. I’m very worried
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I don’t have diabetes I just have cholitis (IBD)
Expert:  FarokhW replied 12 days ago.

Ok. Thank you.

That's quite a detailed description of symptoms. Typically numbness, burning sensation involving just the little finger (pinky) can be attributed very specifically to ulnar nerve....this is a nerve that goes along the inner side  of your arm and forearm.

The more widespread symptoms that you describe, involving back, calf, neck etc would again suggest multiple nerve involvement....polyneuritis. The commonest cause of polyneuritis is Vitamin B deficiency and this can resolve very easily with treatment.

Less commonly polyneuritis can be caused by viral infection too, but again this resolves spontaneously on its own over a period of time.

You mention MRI scan....is that a scan of your neck?

If there are nerve symptoms, one of the more useful investigations would be an EMG -NCV STUDIES (Electromyography and nerve conduction velocity).

And perhaps special blood investigations to look at your Vitamin B12 level may help.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
This happened a day after I got my lip filler dissolved with hyloronadase which was 4 weeks ago now. My symptoms started to form a day after it.‘could it be connected ? Should I worry?
Expert:  FarokhW replied 12 days ago.

I wouldn't think so. If your symptoms were more localised to your lip or face, then there may have been a connection.

Your symptoms are fairly widespread.

I don't think your symptoms are worrying, but they do warrant a thorough clinical examination by a doctor, either an orthopaedic surgeon or a neurologist and further investigations depending on what is found on examination.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
that’s why I’m so confused. They come on and off randomly no matter if I’m resting or not. I’m waiting for the mri just to confirm I don’t have anything like MS. What else could it possibly be? Because of the muscle spasms I’m having
Expert:  FarokhW replied 12 days ago.

I completely understand your anxiety.

As I already mentioned before, Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause symptoms very similar to what you describe.

When u say muscle spasms...do u mean twitching in the muscles? Or cramps?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It’s like a mixture of both. I can just be lying in bed and my leg muscles mostly will spasm. When I’m walking ive been feeling cramps in my calves and it feels very stiff in my knees. I’ve been having twitching in my eyes and spasms in my arms today which is also new.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I am anemic and have had issues with b12 deficiency in the past but yeh
Expert:  FarokhW replied 12 days ago.

Low calcium in blood (hypocalcemia) can cause muscle twitching and spasms..

Maybe worth getting a blood work done to look at all these issues.

Best option would be to see a doctor in person, have an examination and investigations in that order.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ah I had a blood test a few days ago and they said it was ok
Expert:  FarokhW replied 12 days ago.

It Depends on what blood tests were done. Do you have the reports with you.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I don’t have them with me no
Expert:  FarokhW replied 12 days ago.

Ok.

While you wait for your MRI and further consultation with your doctor, there is no harm in starting a multi vitamin and calcium supplement. (Vit B12 will need a prescription though as it is injectable).

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi. It’s spread to both my hands?
Expert:  FarokhW replied 11 days ago.

As I have said before you need a face to face consultation with an orthopaedic surgeon or a neurologist to sort this out further.

Thanks and take care