Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I am feeling pain under both of my breasts. It is mild and

Hi,I am feeling pain under both of my breasts. It is mild and it seems like I only feel it when I move.I did not notice any other symptoms.I was reorganising some stuff in the house yesterday and I had to lift my arms overhead to put stuff.Do you think this is a breast pain that I should be concerned about or muscle pain?Thank you
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Sorry I should have said that the pain gets worse with movement.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please hold on while I type out your answer. This can take a few minutes.

Since the pain is increased with movements, it is certain to be a muscle pain and not in the breasts.

You have likely sprained your intercostal muscles, the rib muscles, during stretching and this is what is causing you the pain.

The recommended treatment for such arm pain is RICE:
Rest: give rest for 2 days.
Warm fomentation: apply warm fomentation to the area, warm a cloth or towel with an iron and apply it. But it should not be too hot.
Compression: Compress the area with a scarf or towel, this will give relief. You can also buy Rib belt/rib support, this is most helpful. It stabilizes the rib cage and minimizes movement, and this helps to reduce pain greatly. They are available at all pharmacies.

Elevation: keep the shoulder and that side of the ribs elevated above the level of the heart, at night when sleeping use a pillow under the shoulde and ribs. Avoid sleeping with the arm raised above the shoulder.

Painkillers: Take OTC painkillers Motrin/Advil one tab 8 hourly for pain relief.

Exercise: this is the most important. Gentle stretching exercises will cause healing. Look up this youtube video for some exercises:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPnhyRrw_nk

Rehabilitation: you have also to take care that you do not sprain your muscles. You may be engaging in some activity which is adding to the problem, like watching tv or working at the computer in an awkward position, sleeping in an awkward position, hobbies like cycling, gym exercises, etc. Take care not to strain the rib area.

In most cases, this will take care of the pain. However, if it persists, you have to show a doctor for this to rule out other causes.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.
If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
How long should I wait to see a doctor if it persists?

You should go if it lasts more than a week.