Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Consultant Pediatrician at Kanchi Kamakoti CHILDS Trust Hospital
101124971

I would like to talk with a pediatric, please. My son is

Hello, I would like to talk with a pediatric, please.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: My son is complaining about legs pains.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Any redness or swelling in the leg?
Customer: The pains is worse without any effort, the most painful is left leg.He doesn't have any swelling or bruse or redness
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: We went to our gp, we had an x-ray, the leg semes good, but the pain is still there

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani. I have 16 years of experience in the field of Pediatrics at a tertiary care referral hospital. I am currently reviewing your question.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

1. May I know the kid's age please?

2. Does mostly occur in the night and does the kid ask you to squeeze the limbs below the knees?

3. Is there any visible swelling or redness in the region?

4. Is there any family history of autoimmune disorders?

5. Are you observing any growth spurt in the kid currently?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Good afternoon
1.my son is 5 years and 10 months
2. Mostly in the night time, but for the past few days he is complaining all the time and he is asking for medication
3. No, nothing at all on his legs
4. No
5.No

Thank you for the information. This could be growing pains.

The term "growing pains" is used to describe children with pain awakening them at night (or from naps) who are otherwise without any manifestation of musculo-skeletal problems. This type of pain typically does not require evaluation beyond a complete history and physical examination.

Although they occur in growing children, growing pains do not coincide with periods of rapid growth, do not occur at the sites of growth, and do not affect the growth of children who have them.

Lower bone density and mechanical factors may also contribute to the development of growing pains. Supplementation with vitamin D in children with low levels was found to significantly reduce pain.

Common symptoms include -

●Begin between ages 3 to 12 years.

●Pain occurs primarily in the lower limbs.

●Pain is often in both legs/ thigh, calf or shin.

●Pain occurs primarily in the evening or nighttime hours and may interrupt sleep. It usually resolves by morning.

●A family history of growing pains is common.

●There can be symptom-free periods of days, weeks, or months may occur between episodes.

Treatment -

Pain is relieved by massage, heat, or first-order analgesics, such Tylenol or Ibuprofen.

Rarely a long acting pain reliever like Naproxen may be required.

Kids found to have low vitamin D levels should receive vitamin D and calcium supplements.

Muscle stretching exercises may relieve chronic symptoms.

Encourage normal social activities.

I am happy that my interaction was helpful for you and put your mind at ease.

In future you can opt me as your favorite medical expert so that you can ask me a question directly. I will be happy to help anytime.

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800