Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I am getting recurrent water infections which are treated

Customer Question

I am getting recurrent water infections which are treated with antibiotics. I have had an ultrasound scan on kidneys and bladder and everything was fine
JA: How long have you been using the antibiotics? Has it helped at all?
Customer: Since the beginning of March I've had 4 lots of antibiotics and yea they do clear it up only for it to start again
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the infection?
Customer: My GP is only offering phone consultations at the moment. And these are usually with a different locum each time
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have Myasthenia and have taken Mycophenolate for 5 years
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 17 days ago.

What are your age and gender?

What did your urine culture show? And were you prescribed antibiotics according to the culture reports?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I am a 68 year old female. The antibiotics have been prescribed before lab results but no one has contacted me to say they are not suitable. I have been given 2 different types of antibiotics

Thanks for the further information.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 5 minutes.

Unless you wish to speak in person, you can ignore the request for a phone call automatically generated by the website, not by me.

A urinary tract infection, as a rule, warrants a urine culture for evaluation (with a routine urine analysis). A urine culture test substantiates the infection and gives you the best antibiotic to treat and eradicate it and prevent its recurrence.

Treating a UTI without a culture test is like going into the sea without navigation help.

You may go to your GP or a walk-in clinic for the urine culture to properly manage it.

A cardinal rule is;

Urine examination, urine culture, and sensitivity should be obtained with each episode of symptomatic acute cystitis before starting treatment.

I wish your symptoms resolve soon.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.
Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you! I’ll try and contact my GP tomorrow

You are very welcome.

Wishing you a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

It was a pleasure to assist you.

I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today!

Stay blessed.