FarokhW
FarokhW,
Experience:  Expert
112594791

I have a very swollen ankle and inflamation in my leg. I

I have a very swollen ankle and inflamation in my leg. I have been to a pharmacy and they have suggested contacted you as she feels there maybe an infection
JA: How long have you had the swelling? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: I have had a swelling over a week and been to my Doctor who suggested an x ray which I have undertaken. I am very concerned about the inflamation.
JA: Got it. When was your last doctor visit? What did you discuss?
Customer: I have spoken on the telephone to my GP on Thursday just gone but the inflamation was not there when I spoke with him,
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Not that I am aware of. My telephone number is ***** 765831.

Hello my name is***** am an orthopaedic surgeon and I will try and answer your questions today as best as I can.

I just need a little more information if that is OK?

May I know how old you are?

Did you have any injury to your ankle prior to the onset of symptoms, twisting or ankle going under?

Do you have any fever?

Do you feel well in yourself? Any loss of appetite?

And finally do u have any other medical conditions such as Diabetes?

I seem to have lost you.

Based on the information you have provided, the commonest and most worrying cause of inflammation in a joint, in your case an ankle joint, is infection.

Infection in the joint needs urgent treatment, usually a surgical drainage of the pus. The longer the pus remains in the joint, the worse it is for the joint cartilage. The long lasting effect of infection in the joint is arthritis.

Therefore this needs urgent assessment with blood tests (complete blood counts, ESR and CRP which are infection markers) and an ultrasound scan of the ankle to look for excessive fluid in the ankle joint.

While I am not suggesting that you have infection in the ankle joint at present, the only way to be sure is by assessing the joint. You therefore must visit your local A&E department or at least an urgent care walk-in centre.

The second common cause of ankle swelling and inflammation is an injury with resultant sprain. While this does need assessment and treatment, it is not as urgent as infection.

The rarer causes include viral infection, inflammation of synovium (lining) of the joint, etc. These need symptomatic treatment with anti inflammatory medications such as Ibuprofen and paracetamol.

Please let me know if you have any further questions here.