Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
23101880

I am on the 5th day of a Citalopram course, prescribed for

Customer Question

I am on the 5th day of a Citalopram course, prescribed for anxiety. It has therefore not yet started to produce a beneficial effect. Till it does, can I, to deal with waves of anxiety, sensibly add some Proplanolol (which I already have for a hand tremor). The usual dose for anxiety, according to the NHS, is 40 mg. Would that be sensible, till I can speak to my GP tomorrow?
JA: How long have you been using Citalopram? Has it helped at all?
Customer: I started the course on 2 June. So far it has not yet helped, which is not surprising, because the NHS says it takes at least 2 weeks to start having an effect, and 4-6 weeks to kick in fully.
JA: Got it. Have you used anything besides Citalopram for this?
Customer: No. Only paracetamol.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I never had anxiety in the medical sense till getting my 2nd Pfizer Covid jab on 28 March. Since then I have occasional waves of it, and some panic attacks. My other existing medications are clopidogrel (after a small stroke 5 years ago), irbesartan (for high blood pressure), proplanolol (for a small hand tremor: 10 mg pills, one or two three times a day. I usually only take one a day) and Atorvastatin.
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 12 days ago.

Hi! I am Dr Saleem. Welcome to JA.

Thank you for the question. I will be answering your query shortly.

Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 12 days ago.

I understand your concern.

It's reasonable and safe to add Propranolol till the time citalopram starts working. You may start at a dose of 20 mg twice daily and then increase to 40 mg twice daily after 3 days if there are no ill effects and if the symtoms are not adequately controlled.

Hope that helps.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks!
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 12 days ago.

My pleasure.