Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I finished a course of Penicillin for a water infection 2

I finished a course of Penicillin for a water infection 2 days ago. I have now got another water infection but a lot more painful. I am 73 years old. what can I do.
JA: How long have you been using Penicillin? Has it helped at all?
Customer: about 4 weeks, it did get betterbut 2 days later it has come back again and is more painful. i have been drinking a lot of water.
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the infection?
Customer: I havent actually seen the GP he just left me a prescription to collect.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: i am on thyroid medication because I had it removed in 2004. uual arthritis in every joint.

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer or further information request.

A urinary tract infection, as a rule, warrants a urine culture for evaluation (with a routine urine analysis). A urine culture test substantiates the infection and gives you the best antibiotic to treat and eradicate it and prevent its recurrence.

Treating a UTI without a culture test is like going into the sea without navigation help.

You may go to your GP or a walk-in clinic for the urine culture to properly manage it.

Following measures would be helpful, meanwhile;

1) Drinking plenty of fluids and water

2) Cranberry extract capsule.

3) Avoiding alcohol drinks and caffeine drinks

4) Azo/Pyridium for urinary burning/pain (it is without the prescription and is a urinary analgesic).

5) Take Rephresh probiotic

6) Take a medicine called D- mannose – 500 mg every 3 hours for 5 days.

I wish your symptoms resolve soon.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.
Thanks for using Just Answer.