Tim Brown
Tim Brown, GP
Experience:  GP in Sussex
108371854

Evening. My daughter in law is in need of spinal surgery to

Customer Question

Evening. My daughter in law is in need of spinal surgery to remove a malignant sarcoma measuring 0.6cm at maximum centred between T7/8. We are looking for private care any recommendations and a ball park cost.
JA: Has your daughter-in-law discussed the surgery with a doctor?
Customer: waiting answer this week of they will do the operation. She has 2 unmeasurable nodules in her lungs which seem to be an issue. She does have one more chemotherapy session to go. Her consultant has already hinted it will come down to funding on the NHS.
JA: Got it. Has she used any medication for this?
Customer: What?
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in her medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: she has a metal rod in her spine from surgery aged 12 to correct a curvature of the spine.
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 14 days ago.

Good evening, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today.

Expert:  Tim Brown replied 14 days ago.

I am sorry to hear this. How old is your daughter now please? And this isn't being recommended as a surgery on the NHS?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Can you advice?
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 14 days ago.

Yes, I can advise, but how old is your daughter please?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
She is 25 and waiting on an answer from in Birmingham if they will remove the tumour. She is currently in the Christie in Manchester.
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 14 days ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** you know what type of Sarcoma she has?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Osteosarcoma.
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 14 days ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** would typically be from about £17,000 to £25,000 for this type of surgery. There are however many variable regarding the site of the sarcoma as this can change if the surgery is shorter or longer, the cost of your hospital and anaesthetic costs also vary depending on where you are in the UK and what type of hospital you would use.

I would suggest only considering a large hospital for this type of surgery, therefore if not funded by the NHS, I would seek a trust that can do this through their private side, but essentially uses the same theatre and wards as the NHS as the follow up care would be better for higher risk surgery.

I would however suggest as well that this is likely to be funded by the NHS if there was benefit to be gained.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you very much that is really helpful. If they aren’t willing to fund it (I think they will personally as they said she would never walk again and she can now stand up, aided, numerous times and the tumour has shrunk from 2.6cm all in 4 months) can you advice on the process to challenge this?
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 14 days ago.

That is my pleasure, so you would need the support of your daughters consultant to challenge this. They can support with the risks of not having it against the risks of having it, as both would have their own costs. The CCG (group who hold the funding) are difficult to challenge individually as the processes are a little frustrating. But your doctor would be able to help with this.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you that much appreciated. We will get there with her one way or the other.
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 14 days ago.

That is my pleasure. Take care and all the best.