Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
23101880

I’m a stone over weight and I’ve been told saxenda

Customer Question

Hi I’m a stone over weight and I’ve been told saxenda injections are good to loose weight are they safe ??
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: None
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 11 days ago.

Hi! I am Dr Saleem. Welcome to JA.

Thank you for the question. I will be answering your query shortly.

Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 11 days ago.

I understand your concern.

Saxenda is pretty safe in clinical practice and the most common side effects include 

• A rise in heart rate

• Constipation or diarrhea

• Nausea/vomiting and 

• Minor headaches

These side effects occur in around 10 percent of individuals but most people tolerate these injections very well.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
What I’m worried about is that they can cause pancreatitis and in rare cases thyroid cancer have you heard this ? I want to try them but scared I will be doing harm to my self
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 11 days ago.

Yes I have. Medullary thyroid cancer was seen in animal/rodent studies but there are not many cases in humans. Pancreatitis is a very rare side effect and has more chances to occur if the person consumes alcohol or has a history of gall bladder stones. Like any medication Saxenda also has some risks involved but it's a safe option overall in my opinion.