Tim Brown
Tim Brown, GP
Experience:  GP in Sussex
108371854

I have abess from my wisdom tooth do you think my gp would

Customer Question

Hi I have abess from my wisdom tooth do you think my gp would prescribe antibiotics for it
JA: Do you have any gum pain? Do you any discomfort in your jaw?
Customer: Yeah and my cheek is swollen
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 17 days ago.

Good morning, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Morning
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 17 days ago.

I am sorry to hear you have this. Unfortunately not, a doctor should not prescribe for a dental abscess unless you are systemically unwell because of it. Only a dentist should assess this sorry as on occasion they prefer to drain them, and the antibiotics can complicate the procedure if required.

Therefore ideally you need a dentist, if you do not have one then you should call dentaline via 111 if you do not have your local number.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok be great though if I could get in as my dentist is full for 2 weeks and I can't carry on like this. I'm not sleeping or eating because of it
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 17 days ago.

What pain relief are you taking? Are you using any medicated toothpastes/mouthwashes?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Paracetamol as I cant take ibuprofen and rinsing mouth with mouth wash but I dnt think ots medicated
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 17 days ago.

I would therefore ask your pharmacy for Co-codamol 8/500 as this is available without a prescription. You should also use Corsydl mouth wash with a soft hooked tooth brush to use around the tooth that is painful, this alone often reduces symptoms within 24 hours.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok thank you for your help
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 17 days ago.

That is my pleasure, I wish you all the best.