Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I have swollen feet with mild pain in feet fingers left foot

Customer Question

I have swollen feet with mild pain in feet fingers left foot is worser than the right one. I am diabetic 2 taking Gliclazide 80 mg 2 tablets each morning and evening and Canagliflozin (Invokana) 100 mg in the evening.
JA: How long have you been using Invokana? Has it helped at all?
Customer: may be for the last 3 months or so. Blood glucose level between 6-7.5 in the morning before breakfast.
JA: The Doctor will be able to answer that. Have you seen a doctor about the swelling?
Customer: not as yet , to get in touch of a doctor in these days is not very easy
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have PAF and taking warferin dozes varies on the reading of INR. for foot problem using oversized shoes with insoles, but still no significant improvement of relieving pain . Morning before breakfast blood glucose between 7 - 8 mmol/L.
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 16 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age?

How long have you been having swollen foot?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 15 days ago.

Ankle swelling is a fairly common problem after a certain age. It happens due to the decreased circulation that occurs naturally with everyone with age. As a result of this fluid tends to collect in the feet and ankles.
In your case also, this is most likely due to decreased circulation. However, other conditions need to be ruled out.
It is best to go to the doctor for this - it needs to be checked up just to confirm that it is due to natural decreased circulation and not something else. Causes can be:
Age related: swelling that occurs with age.
Kidney diseases
Heart diseases
Liver diseases
Venous insufficiency
Lymphedema
Take the following steps to decrease swelling:
Elevate the feet during sleep, by putting a pillow under your feet at night.
Support stockings: these are available at pharmacies. Wear them as often as you can. TED hoses will help greatly.
Exercise: a sedentary lifestyle will make you more prone to this. Exercise of the calf muscles increases circulation and decreases swelling. Take at least 30 minute walks five days a week.
Low salt diet: cut down salt in your diet. This is also very important.
At the same time, consult your doctor for tests for kidney, heart and liver diseases and also a doppler study of the veins in your leg. This will rule out any other causes of the swelling. Also ask the doctor about Lasix tablets which can reduce the swelling.
Take care - this problem is often simple and the above steps will take care of this - at the same time you do need to show your doctor for a checkup, specially if it persists.
Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.
Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.
If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti