Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Back ache and occasional spasm in main back muscles. Played

back ache and occasional spasm in main back muscles. Played golf ok with little pain but appears worse following day
JA: Have you used any medication for the backache?
Customer: yes deep heat / ibuprofen gel
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the backache?
Customer: no
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: previous back ache in lower back but this is different pain / area

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please hold on while I type out your answer. This can take a few minutes.

This is most likely an acute back pain due to muscle spasm. Such back pain may also be due to spinal disease. One way to distinguish muscle pain from spinal pain is that simple muscle pain is usually relieved by sitting or lying down after standing whereas spinal pain is aggravated by sitting for long periods, as in driving.

Back pain is one of the commonest diseases in humans. It may be caused by a wide variety of lesions, but is often quite harmless and relieved by simple measures.

The measures that you should take are:

Avoid stressing the back - avoid anything like lifting heavy objects, standing for long periods, bending forwards. For now give rest for 1 day. Lie mostly on the bed as far as possible for the day, but do gentle stretching exercises.

Warm compresses- warm compresses are often helpful. You can also go for deep warmth with ultrasound and lasers which can be given at physiotherapist clinics.

Massage: a hand held massager if available can work wonders.

Tab. Motrin 200 mg - take one tab. twice daily.

Lumbar belt: this is available at pharmacies. Use a soft lumbar belt specially when moving about.

Firm mattress: your mattress should not be too soft or too hard. Use a firm mattress.

Physiotherapy: do gentle exercises for the back - start gently on the bed itself as long as the pain is there, but once you recover you must continue doing these exercises so that they do not recur. Look up here for exercises:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6CMso14NWk

If the pain lasts for a long period, gets more severe or becomes recurrent, you have to show your doctor to rule out spinal causes.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti