RickD810
RickD810, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Expert
109813799

My son has a suspected hydrocele but it does not illuminate

My son has a suspected hydrocele but it does not illuminate is this common?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes he has, he isn’t on any medication just paracetamol for pain.
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: He’s had this for 4 weeks now, nothing makes it worse or better.
JA: Is there anything else the Expert should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No. Thankyou

Hello My name is***** am pleased to meet you. Can you can let me know of your problem and I will see if I can assist.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
My son has a large lump on his groin, he has been in and out of hospital and they have said it’s a hydrocele but it does not illuminate is this possible?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The lump is extremely tender and does not reduce in size.

How old is he?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
He is 8 weeks old tomorrow. Born on 13/04/2021.

A baby's hydrocele typically disappears on its own. But if your baby's hydrocele doesn't disappear after a year or if it enlarges, ask your child's doctor to examine the hydrocele again.

Get immediate medical treatment if you or your child develops sudden, severe scrotal pain or swelling, especially within several hours of an injury to the scrotum. These signs and symptoms can occur with a number of conditions, including blocked blood flow in a twisted testicle (testicular torsion). Testicular torsion must be treated within hours of the beginning of signs and symptoms to save the testicle.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
We have asked for it to be looked at but they call Leicester hospital to seek advice and send us away stating it’s a hydrocele and his pain wouldn’t be down to this.

Hydroceles can be self limiting and should disappear after the first year of life. If you aby is in pain or discomfort then I would advise that you take him to A&E and they can expedite matters for you

Customer: replied 14 days ago.

Please could you kindly rate my response using the stars as this is the only way JustAnswer can acknowledge my response.

A 5 star rating would be much appreciated.

Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!

Dr R Duggal

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Okay