Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I am stiff with joint pains in my hips and I cannot walk

I am stiff with joint pains in my hips and I cannot walk properly: I find it difficult to begin moving when I stand up. I have AF and I am overweight (5'2" 1
JA: How long have you had the pain? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: stone)
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the pain?
Customer: I have been finding difficulty in walking for at least three years But last week end I began to find it more difficult and this week end I had real problems going up and down staris.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have Type 2 Diabetes and take betablockers and statins I am 77 which obviously contributes to the problem. I have been sitting for long periods

Your symptoms are suggestive of hip osteoarthritis (age-related joint changes).

You need an MRI of the hips.

This will tell, what are the tissues involved:

1) Muscles

2) Joint

3) Ligament

4) Tendon

5) Bursa

6) cartilage

7) Or any combination.

The mainstay of the treatment though is not very different and is;

a) Physical therapy

b) Deep electrotherapy

c) Acupuncture

d) Local analgesic cream

e) Pool therapy/hydrotherapy.

f) Analgesics

g) Lidocaine cream

h) Rest

i) Capsaicin cream.

j) Hot fomentation

You may consult;

1) Orthopedics

2) MD in physical medicine and rehabilitation.

You may also need hip replacement surgery if your pain is severe and you do not get relief by the above measures.

I wish your symptoms resolve soon.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.
Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
my doctor has told me that my left hip is suffering from 'wear and tear' but not osteoarthritis. I have got used to this problem. Now quite suddenly, in the last two weeks I am finding that my whole lower body is getting more and more immobile. When I stand up I cannot move my feet immediately and have to sort of slide them into action. I would like you to give me a suggestion about how to cope with this.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you for your help

You are very welcome.

Osteoarthritis is wear and tear arthritis.

The above measures physiotherapy, deep electrotherapy, gentle massage, acupuncture, Ibuprofen, Lidocaine skin patch, warm compresses, pool therapy, analgesic spray; all will help you.

You may need hip replacement surgery if you have pain in the nighttime or the above measures do not help.

Wishing you a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

It was a pleasure to assist you.

I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today!

Stay blessed.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for your advice which helped me to cheer up. Funnily enough I spoke to a friend yesterday who said he and a couple of friends had had the same problem, being almost unable to move for a couple of days. He lives in Yeovil where I had been that week end. I concluded that this had been a local 'thing' which I was unlicky enough to catch, Best wishes CPB

You are very welcome.

Ibuprofen may help with warm baths.