RickD810
RickD810, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Expert
109813799

I had two patches of red, slightly scaly skin on the centre

I had two patches of red, slightly scaly skin on the centre of my upper back, about an inch in diameter. Following this a few little smaller patches, but redder popped up. None of them have been itchy or dry really, but maybe a bit scaly and thickened at times? I was prescribed Eumovate ointment, which was doing a good job reducing the inflammation, but when stopping the cream they kind of come back. Also new ones keep popping up, about a cm across, always around my trunk and back. I probably apply the ointment to about 8-10 spots now. There is also some red patches under my chest hairs, which again, it's not like a deep red, just kind of pinkish in patches. The first patches appeared about six weeks ago. I've become concerned with mycosis fungoides, I did a syphilis test and was negative. The dermatologist I saw wasn't sure what the cause was, he said to keep applying Eumovate, and was happy for me to use on any new spots as they appeared.
Like I say the Eumovate does kick in after a few days and does reduce redness, but I doubt I'm meant to use it forever, and feel they will just return if I stop using. Does it sound like mycosis fungoides?
I should add I get very health anxious..
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The redness was completely removed from the ones I was quite good about putting the ointment on every day.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
After about 1-2 weeks anyway
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here's one I discovered just the other day on my back

Hello My name is***** am pleased to meet you. Can you can let me know of your problem and I will see if I can assist.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Dr, please see above, I should add I have been noticing dry skin elsewhere, but not red (on the face, outside of arms etc.) These don't really seem dry or flaky, just pink/red

Have you had any scrapings taken?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, he did mention a biopsy initially, but when I said the steroid cream was clearing the redness he seemed happy to just continue with that.

I would avoid steroid creams at the moment.... you can get a secondary fungal infection called Tinea Incognito by overuse of steroid creams.

Your best bet currently would be to continue with anti fungal creams. You can also try Nizoral Shampoo which you can use as a body wash.

You will need some skin scrapings from your GP for analysis

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I used nizoral for about 3-4 days a week or so ago, is it okay to just use every day long term?

Yes... you should use for 6 weeks minimum

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay thanks
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Does it look possible for mycosis fungoides though do you think? It's the only thing concerning me really, they are quite asymptomatic so without that threat I wouldn't give them too much thought.

You do not have mycosis fungoides

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks !

Please could you kindly rate my response using the stars as this is the only way JustAnswer can acknowledge my response.

A 5 star rating would be much appreciated.

Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!

Dr R Duggal