Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I’ve hurt my back, it’s a sharp shooting pain across all of

Customer Question

I’ve hurt my back, it’s a sharp shooting pain across all of my back, it’s okay if I’m sat still but if I move, such as bend down or pick something up it spreads across my whole back. I think I may have done it during exercise
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: sitting still helps, moving hurts
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 14 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please hold on while I type out your answer. This can take a few minutes.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.

This is most likely an acute back pain due to muscle spasm. Such back pain may also be due to spinal disease. One way to distinguish muscle pain from spinal pain is that simple muscle pain is usually relieved by sitting or lying down after standing whereas spinal pain is aggravated by sitting for long periods, as in driving.

Back pain is one of the commonest diseases in humans. It may be caused by a wide variety of lesions, but is often quite harmless and relieved by simple measures.

The measures that you should take are:

Avoid stressing the back - avoid anything like lifting heavy objects, standing for long periods, bending forwards. For now give rest for 1 day. Lie mostly on the bed as far as possible for the day, but do gentle stretching exercises.

Warm compresses- warm compresses are often helpful. You can also go for deep warmth with ultrasound and lasers which can be given at physiotherapist clinics.

Massage: a hand held massager if available can work wonders.

Tab. Motrin 200 mg - take one tab. twice daily.

Lumbar belt: this is available at pharmacies. Use a soft lumbar belt specially when moving about.

Firm mattress: your mattress should not be too soft or too hard. Use a firm mattress.

Physiotherapy: do gentle exercises for the back - start gently on the bed itself as long as the pain is there, but once you recover you must continue doing these exercises so that they do not recur. Look up here for exercises:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6CMso14NWk

If the pain lasts for a long period, gets more severe or becomes recurrent, you have to show your doctor to rule out spinal causes.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you! It’s been like this for two days now, with no improvement but not worsening either. I rested yesterday but I’m at work today and will be for the rest of the week, I work in childcare so am constantly having to lift up children, however, I have avoided doing this today. How long would you say to continue like this? And how long do you think it will take to heal? I have been taking nurofen pain relief and have been using deep heat to relieve the pain.

You should take rest for 2 days, avoid stressing the back for at least a week. It should heal in 5-7 days.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** it doesn’t heal?

You will have to go to the doctor.