ravikumarr
ravikumarr,
Experience:  Expert
111548138

I had an operation on my bladder 18 months ago, leaving it

I had an operation on my bladder 18 months ago, leaving it with a catheter.
Since then I have had courses of 4 different antibiotics.
My symptoms have remained the same overall.
They are discomfort, intermittent groin ache, urine odour, weak urination etcI need to find a way out of this.

Welcome to Just Answer,  will be happy to help.I am sorry to hear about your concern. I will try my best to give you suggestions that help your concern. The answer does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic. Kindly be  informed that we are not allowed to prescribe any medications on the site ,NOTE - All phone call requests are auto-generated and you may ignore these requests. Communicating through text chat is just fine with me. I can surely give you my recommendations about your concern.NOTE - phone call requests are auto-generated. Please ignore these requests if you have not requested.

What kind of operation did you have? What have the urology surgeons told you about the catheter? Have you any follow up  appointment with them

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
COVID eliminated follow up in person in UK
Surgeon for Rezum op treated catheter as normal ( lasted for about 3 was)
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
3 weeks
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Is there other information I should add?

What was the urological procedure please

Rezum?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I am uncertain over final procedure. Initially it was assumed it would be a prostatectomy {?} but my prostate was small . I believe they enlarged the bladder exit slightly. Not sure.
The Rezum procedure is a new one. It is a steam -based operation[steam produced in bladder].

Oh sorry. Not aware of it

So sometimes intermittent self catheterization can be used. Have you discussed with your urologist. Also why do you need long term catheter? They have enlarged the opening. Can you shed more light please

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Catheterisation lasted for 3 weeks, inc a final week of self catherization
I believe my initial hospital investigations etc introduced ecoli. The same odour has continued from the post op
A mentioned was made in a sibsequent letter from the consultant that it was possible there may be some ‘detritus’ from the op.
The hospital is a significant distance away and COVID lockdown intervened

The catheter is a foreign body and it is bound to cause infections. Micro organisms can grow on the catheter tube. This happens despite the catheter being inserted using sterile techniques.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Is my condition permanent then?

You need a clear plan. Thisbplan can come only from the urologists. It was unfortunate that covid happened. Now all the consultations are opened , so it should be a bit better to get follow up appointments.

In the meal while you can try some cranberry juice while helps in maintaining the urine environment. Also yogurt helps.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
A GP arranged appt with a new urology dept ?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
A private consultation

Good. Hopefully a clear plan can be worked out. Make sure you give all the details of the surgery to the urologist. All the best. Take care.