DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I have problems with my left knee. i had a key hole surgery

Customer Question

i have problems with my left knee. i had a key hole surgery 20 years ago to remove cartilage and have been unable to run for many years now. i am fairly sure i need more surgery to be able to walk and run. is it worth asking my gp for a referral or are there alternatives to surgery?
JA: Have you been using any medication since the surgery? How severe are any complications?
Customer: no the surgery was 20 years ago. i've been active since but it's getting worse
JA: Got it. What did you discuss at your last visit to the doctor?
Customer: i haven't seen a doctor since i had the surgery. i'm wondering whether it's worth going to see one in the current climate
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no but i was seen very quickly last time because i was a sports person and need good knees.
Expert:  DR. EHTISHAM replied 5 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Why surgery was done 20 years ago?

When you had an imaging like X-ray or MRI done most recently?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
the surgery was to remove cartilage. i have an old cruciate ligament injury but that has never prevented my from walking or running. the cartilage damage from wear and tear causes the pain and swelling. i haven't had a scan since the operation.

Thanks for the details

I would suggest that you should have an MRI first of all

After MRI the extent and nature of damage can be ascertained

The decision whether you will benefit from another surgery will depend on the current status of your soft tissues

Please do let me know if you have any other question

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
no i want to know if i should go and see my gp and get a referral for surgery. i know you can't do anything on this chat line

Yes I would suggest a referral and specialist opinion