Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I think I might have bipolar, I’ve just been switched from

I think I might have bipolar
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I’ve just been switched from mirtazapine to Citalopram after speaking to my doctor today as since a week ago I’ve been feeling a very elevated depressed to the point I self harmed which I haven’t in years I also was really bad at going through stages of gambling he said it’s maybe a possibility but He’s going to write a letter the mental health service I’ve reffered myself too
JA: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?
Customer: yeah
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I always get written mixed anxiety and depressive disorder on my sick notes this is the worst I’ve been I can’t eat or sleep but keep going
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I’ve struggled with my mental health as long as I can remember needing counselling at early age and using methods like self harm I never really knew why I was just really shy and didnt know how to express things like I say I feel as though there’s two mes at times one caring and happy really happy and the other low and agitated all the time and I always seem to get depressed in winter months and my periods really affect my moods and it was actually my partner who listened to a podcast about someone with bipolar and said it’s as if I wrote it, when I’m good I’m that good I can’t think of the bad and I’m on go it’s all positive thoughts,then when I’m not good like I have been since January I just felt myself dragging myself around at work and I was crying from morning to night some days and it’s all negative thoughts and this last week they’ve got louder since coming on my period it really ha heightened everything I just don’t feel like me, To the point of thoughts of talking my own life and that’s where the self harm came in, I only did it on two occasions where I was on my own and it’s all I could think about doing as I thought it would heIp take my attention away from the dark thoughts I can’t eat again which the 30 mg mirtazapine had helped with in total from 15 mg for 4 weeks and 30mg for the last 6 weeks, I’ve been really up and down since January 21, I’ve already been diagnosed with an under active thryiod which they tested not long ago and only 1 level out of 3 was slightly raised so they aren’t checking that for a few months I take ; I haven’t felt where I couldn’t sleep for a while but for the last 8 days my partner has been sitting away till I fall a sleep sometimes as late as 3/4am and last night I just had to much energy to sleep; I had sex with my partner for the first time in months and still couldn’t sleep , I still feel wide away today, this is honestly the worst and unconnected To myself I’ve ever felt it’s hard to explain

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

I will be happy to assist you today.

I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly.

I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms, I know this must be a difficult time.

I'll try my best to help.

From your history, it sounds like you are suffering from Bipolar, but getting treated for depression.

It is reassuring that you are getting referred to a Psychiatrist for proper evaluation.

A formal diagnosis requires a very detailed history, which is not possible online.

During the mania or hypomania phase, how many of the following symptoms do have?

1. Inflated self-esteem or grandiosity
  2. Decreased need for sleep
  3. Increased talkativeness
  4. Racing thoughts
  5. Distracted easily
  6. Increase in goal-directed activity or psychomotor agitation
  7. Engaging in activities that hold the potential for painful consequences, e.g., unrestrained buying sprees

To be considered mania, the elevated, expansive, or irritable mood must last for at least one week and be present most of the day, nearly every day.

To be considered hypomania, the mood must last at least four consecutive days and be present most of the day, almost every day.

The depressive side of bipolar disorder is characterized by a major depressive episode resulting in a depressed mood or loss of interest or pleasure in life.

The DSM-5 states that a person must experience five or more of the following symptoms in two weeks to be diagnosed with a major depressive episode:

1. Depressed mood most of the day, nearly every day
  2. Loss of interest or pleasure in all, or almost all, activities
  3. Significant weight loss or decrease or increase in appetite
  4. Engaging in purposeless movements, such as pacing the room
  5. Fatigue or loss of energy
  6. Feelings of worthlessness or guilt
  7. Diminished ability to think or concentrate, or indecisiveness
  8. Recurrent thoughts of death, recurrent suicidal ideation without a specific plan, or a suicide attempt. In case you do have 5 of these symptoms and at least 3 of the symptoms in the list of mania/hypomania list. You should get a thorough evaluation from a Psychiatrist.

Please let me know if this was helpful.

In case you require any further assistance, do not hesitate to contact me. I am happy to help!

Wishing you the very best in life.

Thank you for the opportunity to help.

Positive feedback is requested.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
It sounds a lot like I’m going through tbh they said I had severe anxiety 5 years ago when I quit smoking cannabis and I haven’t smoked it since but that doctor who wasn’t usually at my surgery said I appeared manic that day, I do go from having all my confidence and being happy and just going about everyday with happy racing thoughts and feelings that I’m doing great in life to the point I’d spend all our money the gambling and spending problems only really appeared after having my daughter I used to lay awake at night after having as when I cloed my eyes I’d see scary faces and premonitions of bad things happening to my daughter like dropping her ect I went back on my propanol and lofepramine which helped but I was having panick attacks too and then going to extreme lows like I’ve explained with loud negative thoughts
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you for your answers very helpful thank you
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Everything on your lists in all truth for both when I’m up I’m up when I’m down I’m down
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I think I’ve got both at the same time at this minute tho is that normal for bipolar

Thank you for your reply.

No, that is not normal for bipolar.

But, it is possible to be in hypomania in the morning, only to be depressed in the evening.

A detailed history from your partner and keeping a diary will assist in diagnosis.

Kindly see your psychiatrist and get evaluated.

I wish you all the best.

I sincerely ***** ***** was helpful.

It was a pleasure to assist you.

Regards.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
That would make sense as I felt like I could clime walls and agitated from waking up like wide awake to extreme lows and having impulse like thoughts to harm myself which I haven’t had in years like I explained It seemed to have triggered from my period, I know I can’t make sense of it but I just want answers to get the correct treatment but hopefully it won’t take too long to hear back from mental health Center and get an assessment, I’ve had lots of lows since January with brief highs that last about a week but like I say this week I can’t focus I keep forgetting things jumbling my words and having thoughts all the time I’m just keeping myself going really all I’ve done is ask for help just wanted a little reassurance I’m on the right track, thanks again

You're very welcome.

Glad to help.