FarokhW
FarokhW,
Experience:  Expert
112594791

Doctor, I have tried ringing but it is very busy, I slipped

Hi /doctor, I have tried ringing but it is very busy, I slipped down a river bank trying to help my old dog who had got stuck about 10 days ago. Unfortunately I bent my right hand back and also my thumb, The hand swelled up and was very painful. I have been wearing a support bandage and it has gone down except for my wrist and thumb which is still pretty painful and I am not able to put very much weight on it. My name is*****: Have you used any medication for the swelling?
Customer: Ibuprofen and paracetamols
JA: Got it. Have you used anything besides ibuprofen for this?
Customer: no It was ibuprofen gel sorry
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I recently broke a bone and last year broke my kmee. They put ,me a course of vitamin D I am 77 years old

Hello.

My name is***** and I am Orthopaedic Surgeon.

I will try my best to answer your questions today.

I am sorry to hear that your wrist pain and swelling hasn't improved over the last 10 days.

Please allow me a few minutes to prepare a response.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.

Do you want to do a phone call?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Not at £34 thank you

Ok. I am happy to chat here. Don't worry you will not be charged for this and if they do, they will refund the amount.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.

Ok. Considering your background history of a previous fracture and your age, I would be worried that you may have broken your wrist bone (distal radius). These are very common injuries that happen due to fall on the outstretched hand, especially if your bones are weak (osteoporotic).

In that scenario, it would be best if you visited the nearest A&E or urgent care centre where they can x-ray your wrist and put you into a more stable/rigid immobilisation such as a slab.

Would it be possible for you to send a picture of your wrist here?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I will try
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Sorry I have taken the photo but not sure how to send it

There is a paper clip icon at the bottom of this chat box,  If you click on it....you should be able to attach a photo here

Don't worry if you cannot do it.

As I said before, pain and swelling especially in the wrist that has not settled down over 10 days after injury definitely needs an x-ray. So it would be best to visit your nearest urgent care walk in centre to do that.

If there is a fracture then this would need immobilisation with a plaster. Your symptoms will get a lot easier with immobilisation.

One other thing you need to talk to your GP for longer term protection of your bone is to start treatment for osteoporosis. This needs a special scan called DEXA scan which your GP may be able to refer. The gold standard for osteoporosis treatment is a weekly tablet called Alendronate which your GP can prescribe. This has to be ta***** ***** term for upto 18mths to 2 yrs.

Vitamin D is good to take but won't treat osteoporosis on its own.