How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wieyedoc Your Own Question
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 15213
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
Type Your Medical Question Here...
wieyedoc is online now

Can you please advise. I desperately need my GP to consider

Customer Question

Can you please advise. I desperately need my GP to consider a dual diagnosis.I contacted my GP last year disclosing symptoms of anxiety, depression, OCD, laxative abuse and a potential eating disorder. I admitted I was abusing street Valium to cope and becoming more psychologically dependent but not yet addicted, which was why I contacted my GP to explore alternatives.My GP refused to assess my mental health saying there was no evidence of anxiety or depression (without assessment) stating no one would entertain me and that I was most likely an addict therefore would only refer me to an addictions service which was for self detox, and in the meantime to continue using street Valium as no alternatives would be explored. He insisted it best to continue rather than to suddenly stop, although I am certain at this point I was not addicted given we were in lockdown there were periods of days, maybe a week without using and I had never once experienced physical withdrawl symptoms.I withdrew from the addiction service after 4 months as I continually explained I would be unable to stop until my anxiety was addressed, at least concurrently if not before. I was only ever given a phone call weekly where I informed my drug use was increasing, and anxiety to which no advice was offered. I now have a physical dependency.I informed my GP of what I think was an accidental overdose, mixed with alcohol and he advised no further only a sickline for work related stress.It was over a year ago I contacted my GP, for the eating disorder blood tests were ordered and conclusive of a suspected eating disorder for which iron and vitamins were prescribed, but no referral made or assessment from a mental health perspective. My weight was never asked, or symptoms - no kind of assessment yet my records state ‘suspected eating disorder’. I am completely laxative dependent and have been for over 2 years - not digested food naturally since March 2019 and require much more than the recommended dose. I explained I couldn’t take the iron tablets due to the side effects exacerbating my eating disorder and was told to instead just eat a healthy diet. I was advised no further with regards ***** ***** suspected eating disorder or how to wean of laxatives as requested.I moved GP recently and have not yet made contact about the above, I’m worried I’ll be rejected in the same way as previous therefore trying to seek as much advice on my approach beforehand.I drank for the first time in 4 months last month and deliberately ran in front of a van as an attempt to kill myself. I have no recollection but witnesses state I was sitting on steps before I deliberately ran into the road in front of a van, and my records state I admitted to having suicidal tendencies.I was treated for superficial cuts and observed for a day for concussion and despite the incident documented on my records as deliberate (I read them when the nurse left the room), I was discharged the following day with no care plan, advice or follow up. My mental state was never even discussed despite the emphasis by nurses on the incident.My discharge letter was sent to my new GP and I called for a sick note for work, and again it was overlooked. I didn’t mention it as I had no privacy however but it is something that can’t be ignored regardless of drug use.I’m not sure what it’ll take, can you please advise if possible how I can persuade a doctor to assess my mental health whilst using street Valium. My addiction is a consequence of anxiety not the reverse. I’m fully aware that street Valium will be exacerbating the symptoms I experience. Until the underlying issues are addressed however, I’ll be unable to stop, but I’ll be continued to be denied treatment in the meantime. I understand it’s difficult to explore mental health whilst using mind altering substances, but my symptoms preexisted prior to street Valium as it was only ever used to cope.I feel I’ve been branded an addict and denied tre
JA: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?
Customer: as above
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: In what way will I be contacted
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 15 days ago.

I am sorry to hear about all the difficulties you are having obtaining care for your multifaceted issues.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 15 days ago.

Given what you have posted I would strongly suggest that, since you don't seem to be able to get admitted to an inpatient NHS mental hospital you check yourself into a private detox center.
This, at least, would get you started on the right track to getting better.

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick MD FACS

I hope you feel better soon.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
HiThanks for your response however, private treatment at a psychiatric hospital is way beyond my means. I enquired at 1 which was £1100 per night - I’m a student from a working class family even if my family sold their home, it probably wouldn’t be enough to cover 3-6 months. And then there’s no guarantee it would actually work
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 15 days ago.

I understand completely about the high cost and lack of guarantees...

At this point it, unfortunately, sounds like you are stuck trying to get your GP to help you as well as going to the A&E when things get out of control.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I’m aware, that’s what I’m requesting advice on. How to go about persuading services to take me seriously.It has transpired this morning that my previous Gp, I moved in Feb, has withheld an email I had sent requesting a second opinion within the practice. I had sent 2 letters requesting mental health assessment and in the second raising the negligent medical advice to simply eat a health diet as an alternative to repeat blood tests, iron and vitamins. This letter wasn’t attached with my records, my new GP states they only have 1. Is this falsifying records?
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 15 days ago.

It would be hard to say if this is considered falsifying of medical records....they could just call it an oversight.

Perhaps you should consult with a Solicitor and have her send some correspondence to your GP....

I hope things improve for you soon.