DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

Can I talk to a rheumatoloist, No, no

Customer Question

Can I talk to a rheumatoloist
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Can you have lupus and still have negative ANA
Expert:  DR. EHTISHAM replied 16 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm a Consultant Rheumatologist and I am reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.

ANA is approximately 95% sensitive in Lupus patients

That means 5% people can still have Lupus with negative ANA

In such cases if clinical suspicion is high more definitive tests like anti-dsDNA and anti-Smith antibodies should be done

Please do let me know if you have any other question

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
What if you have multiple lupus symptoms but all negative antibodies in all tests. Would that rule it out completely or is it possible to still get a diagnosis. I ask because I suffer with raynards, hair thinning, rash across face, my eyes swell up with rashes, aching swollen fingers, fatigue, i struggle sitting out in the sun as it makes me feel poorly and recently I had a random episode where my left pupil because fixed and dilated for 2 days before it started becoming normal again slowly ... just wondered if it’s somthing they would concider or not?

If all other investigations for lupus are negative so it is not lupus

Biopsy of the rash may help to make a diagnosis

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Do you know what could be causing all these symptoms - could I suggest anything to my gp when I go online all it comes up with is lupus and it’s not helping me get better

It can be an undifferentiated connective tissue disorder in which the problem does not fit in to any specific single condition '

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok, that’s helpful thanks, ***** ***** treatment for that? Or would I just have to put up with the symptoms x

There are treatment options after confirming diagnosis