Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MBChB
111381268

I have been experiencing chest pain on the right side (upper

I have been experiencing chest pain on the right side (upper side) of my chest.
JA: How long have you had the chest pain? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: sometimes its suddenly and sometimes it the pain is always here. I have been have January this year. I had been prescribed naproxen (500mg) & omeprazole (20mg) in February which I have had to take for 1 month after the course finished I was fine until now
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the chest pain?
Customer: yes and the doctor has prescribed me with the 2 medicines and I had also had an ecg and the results for that were normal too
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no nothing else

Hi, thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can I ask:

-How old are you?

-any medical problems?

-Do you smoke?

-can you describe when the pain comes, what makes it come on and what makes it go away? Thanks

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
also been experience since the last 2 days, pain in the right side of the back. this has just started this time
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
age 25. no medical problem, non smoker
the pain comes mostly when I lay down,
the pain automatically decreases and then starts again
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
sorry I mean left side of the chest

I see, thanks. How would you describe the pain?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
whenever I do something for example sneeze, cough or anything. that makes me stretch, there is a sharp unbearable pain. when I lay down its also here
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
whenever I press on the right hand side of chest where the pain is, it is a really unbearable pain and if I press on it, it sometimes makes me dizzy

I see thanks. Well really there are two main possibilities from what you've described. One is that this is 'musculo-skeletal' pain, as in a muscle has been sprained or pulled in the chest, usually from a twisting injury and can take several months to get better sometimes. Signs pointing to this would be that it hurts to press on the area, is helped a bit with naproxen and is worse on stretching etc. Secondly the possibility is pericarditis which is inflammation of the sack surrounding the heart. Sharp pains, worse when laying flat, better if you sit up, better a bit with naproxen. Usually due to a viral illness we've had or sometimes no cause is found. Again this would get better within a few weeks and the advice would be to take paracetamol and naproxen for a few weeks and rest and it should get better on its own. If your symptoms persist beyond a month or isn't getting better you need referral to cardiology for further testing. I hope that helps.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I have already had naproxen & omeprazole in February. which had really helped in the pain and after I finished a month course, I didn't experience any pain for 2 months
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
what can I do at the moment at home to make the pain go away? do you have suggestions?

Well regular painkillers will help of course and if inflammation persists then an anti-inflammatory medication like naproxen would be your mainstay. I would strongly advise you get some initial blood tests from your GP looking for inflammation as this can help guide your treatment. In the meantime if you notice a particular motion makes it hurt more like shoulder movement for example, I would google some physiotherapy exercises for that joint and movement and work through them to help strengthen it up and remove the pain.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
would a hot water bag to good to reduce the pain?

Potentially, you could also try alternating heat and an ice pack and also applying some ibuprofen gel to the area as well.