How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wieyedoc Your Own Question
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 15192
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
Type Your Medical Question Here...
wieyedoc is online now

I noticed that I have double vision towards the right up

This answer was rated:

I noticed that I have double vision towards the right up gaze 4 years ago and since then it has increased and is also affecting my primary gaze. I have been to neurologists and neuro-opthalmologists who have not been able to pin down on what the issue really is. I have done the following and they have all come normal:
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Brain MRI, blood tests to check for antibodies for autoimmune, sugar levels, thyroid, Lyme disease, ocular EMG to rule out myasthenia
JA: When was the last time you had your levels checked? Have you noticed any weight loss or weight gain?
Customer: Last month No weight change
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today. We can also chat by hone and skype.

If a neuro-ophthalmologist and neurologist can not been able to pin down the underlying problem you might want to go to a Large Teaching Hospital for a second opinion.

Please allow me to explian:

It sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?
Well I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief.
At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

There are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the United Kingdom and I am sure that there is one near you.
I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.
Does this make sense to you?
Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thanks, Dr.Rick.I don't mind affiliating myself with a university, but how does this work? Do I need to live on the university premises? Do I get experimented upon? How would the university get to the bottom of it compared to all the doctors?Apologies for the slew of questions!Thanks.

No.  You would not need to live at the University....and they do not experiment on people but students may learn from your care by the Professors.

The Doctors at the University are at the cutting edge of their fields and, in many cases, come up with the answers that community doctors just can't find.

Make sense?

I hope things get better soon.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you. It does make sense.However, I'm not sure how to approach the university with this? Is it just a walk-in? Are there any that you would be able to suggest near North West London?

It would be best to call the University Hospital, or go to their web site to see how you arrange to be evaluated.  Walk would really be for critical issues.....

I do not know the London area very well but Google should be able to point you in the right direction.  Just google "teaching hospitals"

Also, it would be helpful to obtain copies of your medical records for the Professor to review.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you. I'll check it out and let you know.

My pleasure.
Best of luck to you.

wieyedoc and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you