Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MBChB
111381268

My L1 and L5 are herniated I’m having pain in my left leg

Customer Question

Hello my L1 and L5 are herniated I’m having pain in my left leg that doesn’t go away sometimes my leg goes numb my doctor isn’t helping me
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Any redness or swelling in the leg?
Customer: swelling in my groin
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I’ve been like this for 9 months I can’t walk very well and I can’t sleep some nights as the pain is so bad I just sit and cry
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I also can’t sit down I have to sit down I have to sit on my side
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
When will I get my answer
Expert:  Shahid Karim replied 5 days ago.

Hi, thanks for getting in touch. I'm really sorry to hear about your symptoms. Could I ask what you're taking for pain relief? Thanks

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
CBD oil and I’ve tried over the counter but nothing is working
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Could I have nerve damage to my leg due to my spine

Hi, thanks for the info. No I don't think you'll have done any damage but you need better painkillers, that's inadequate what you've tried. You have a pinched nerve and are getting symptoms of what we call Sciatica, it can be really uncomfortable like electric pain going down the legs. It's important you see your GP who should start you on something like amitriptyline or gabapentin which are much better at treating nerve related discomfort and will also help you get a good night's sleep which is important too. I'd start by seeing them and starting something made for this situation and that should bring you a lot of relief. I hope that helps and you feel better soon, all the best.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I’ve taken gabapentin it doesn’t help so I guess I have to suffer in silence
Thanks for the advice

You could also try pregabalin or duloxetine they are also very good drugs for nerve related pains. You shouldn't have to suffer in silence, options exist and the last thing we want is for you to be in pain. I know it takes ages sometimes to find the right medicine for you but keep at it and with the GP and you'll find something that works I'm sure. You're very welcome. Wishing you the best moving forwards.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you for your time

You're very welcome indeed, come back if you've further questions. All the best again.