Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I'd like to ask few questions that interest me a lot, yet I

Hi :)
I'd like to ask few questions that interest me a lot, yet I can't find much information about it.
1. It's said that there is no cure for epilepsy (apart from surgery), yet some people can come off medication after being seizure-free for 5+ years. How does it work? Does it mean that epilepsy potentially has got completely cured for that person? Can brain naturally "heal" itself while on AED and having been seizure free for few years? My guess is that the mechanism behind it could be that the hyper-excited neural pathways haven't been stimulated for a long time and thus the connections weaken? Does it mean that it can potentially cure the epilepsy completely (the root of the problem) as those pathways get inactive?
2. Also could ketogenic diet potentially help the brain "heal" faster? I've heard that it can potentially cure the epilepsy completely by curing the cause of the disease rather than symptoms but don't know how true that is.
JA: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?
Customer: Sorry, I am not sure what you mean
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I believe I have temporal lobe epilepsy of the non-dominant hemisphere
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
My friend who is a surgeon suggested me doing the ketogenic diet saying that it cure the root of the disease. And although there is probably not evidence to it, it could probably just be explained by the lack of research done so far.I feel very sad if I have to restrict my life too much (no alcohol, no caffeine, lots of sleep (which means some time of the day is lost), no sugar, or even the ketogenic diet). I am not doing it now hoping that AED are enough for seizure control, but if it means that I am more likely to become seizure free and lift the restriction later after few years to come back to normal life it would probably be worth it. Or does it mean I would have to live with these restrictions all my life? And once I lift them I would just get to the previous state again?I think I have TLE of the non-dominant hemisphere and been on lamotrigine for about 10 months (before that I was taking sodium valproate which made very little difference). While it helps really well, sometimes I still feel tiny bit strange. Like, sometimes I get a bit of nausea or just feeling unwell or dizzy or sometimes even something like epileptic aura (although I am not sure if it is that). I think I started to get this when I started having more caffeine (not really that much, but it just seems like I got a bit sensitive to caffeine in the recent year or so). I then started drinking little or no coffee but still keep feeling unwell every now and then since then. Doctor increased my daily dose of lamotrigine from 175mg to 225mg but I feel like it didn't make much difference if any. I am also going to get 24-48 hours EEG after few months to check if what I am experiencing are simple partial seizures or not.Is there anything else you could suggest me? Thank you very much for any answers/suggestions. :)

this is Dr. David

the brain can heal with time.

eating a healthier diet, more vegetables and healthy fats can help the brain heal.

cutting out gluten, flour, pasta, bread, cereal, sugar, soda out of your diet can help

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi. Thank you very much for the response :)
Also wanted to ask one more thing if you don't mind. I have stopped eating meat (apart from fish) since New Year. I also started to feel tiny bit worse roughly since that time. Do you think it's just a coincidence or is it worth trying to return the meat back into my diet? Thank you very much :)

you should increase your vegetable protein in your diet

more peanut butter, tuna fish, tofu, hummus, beans, chick peas

work on getting 15-20g of veggie protein per meal if you are cutting down meats.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you very much for the suggestions! :) Take care

you are welcome