Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I am 87. Constipated on Thurs & Friday. Eased it on

I am 87. Constipated on Thurs & Friday. Eased it on Saturday, used Latino- 0ne dose in a.m. half dose pm and half dose evening. Mixed result but now bowel moves OK. However an accumulation of water builds up above the anus causing me to go to the loo roughly every two hours. This evacuationmy or may not be accompanied by very small amount of faeces. Is this normal? How long will it last? Thank you for your help
JA: When did you start using this medication? How severe were any side effects?
Customer: I am 87. Constipated on Thursday & Friday. Eased it on Saturday. Used Laxido. One dose in a.m. half dose p.m., half does, evening. Mixed result but now bowel moves OK. However and accumulation of water builds up above the anus causing me to go to the loo roughly every two hours. This evacuation may or may not be accompanied by a very small amount of faeces. Is this normal. How long will it last? Thank you for your help.
JA: The Doctor will be able to answer that. Have you seen a doctor about the constipation?
Customer: No
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I am to have a blood test tomorrow as I have been feeling very fatigued. I recently changed from Fybogel to Laxido but find the Laxido very violent and suspect it’s Sodium and Potassium ingredients may not agree with me.

This is not normal. It seems that you have some stool impacted at the anus. You may try a home use fleet enema. This will take care of your present symptoms.

I wish your symptoms resolve soon.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.
Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Most unfortunately, your answer only came through in a highly abbreviated fashion which did not help and di not do you justice. I have decided not to continue with Just Answer and ask you not to take any further payments on my Credit Card. Thank you.

The forum is for to and fro questions and answers.

I am sorry that my answer did not help you.

I would be happy to answer any further queries.

You may contact just answer customer support for financial matters.

https://www.justanswer.co.uk/help/contact-us

You may need a manual evacuation if you have stool impaction.

Ideally, you should consult a gastroenterologist who can perform the following investigations which are the mainstay of the evaluation and which will give a true perspective of the cause;

1) Blood investigations do give the clue. A complete blood count, biochemical profile, serum calcium, blood glucose, and thyroid function tests are routinely recommended in the evaluation of patients with constipation.

2) Depending on these blood results further blood work is done; serum protein electrophoresis, urine porphyrins, serum parathyroid hormone, and serum cortisol levels, may be done to identify or rule out myeloma, porphyria, hyperparathyroidism, and Addison's disease.

3) Barium enema or barium meal with follow-through study

4) Colonic transit time; can provide a better understanding of the rate of stool movement through the colon.

5) Other investigations like Anorectal manometry, balloon expulsion test, Defecography, etc.

6) Colonoscopy / sigmoidoscopy

Following measures can be helpful;

1) Increased fluids

2) Prune juice and dried plums

3) Increased fiber; preparation like Benefiber can be tried.

4) An herbal tea, "Smooth Move," has been found to have a good result in moving the bowel.

5) Toilet after meals; Toileting 15 to 30 minutes after eating makes use of the gastrocolic reflex. The gastrocolic reflex results in propagating spikes in the colon and rectum within half an hour after a meal. When we eat, our stomach distends and this sends reflex signals to the large intestines (colon) facilitating their movements. If one utilizes the next half hour of a meal, for the toilet, the stool elimination time is decreased.

6) Increase in exercise

7) Stimulant laxatives stimulate intestinal motility and increase intestinal secretion. They are anthraquinones (cascara, aloe, and senna) and diphenyl methanes (bisacodyl, sodium picosulfate, phenolphthalein). These may be avoided more than twice a week, though they are effective but can be harmful in the long term.

8) Avoidance of stress

9) Wheat bran, 20 gms per day can decrease the rectal transit time

10) Vegetables,

11) Fruits (especially dried fruits)

12) Cereals like whole wheat, bran, or oatmeal

13) Celery

14) Grainy bread, such as whole wheat, rye, or pumpernickel

15) Legumes, such as chickpeas, baked beans, and lima beans

16) You can try ground flaxseed sprinkled on salads, cooked vegetables, and cereals.

Foods that cause constipation and should be avoided are;

Ice cream

Cheese

Meat / Red meat

Chips, cookies, and pizza

Pastries

Foods that contain white flour

Pasta

Junk food or fast food

Banana.

I wish your symptoms resolve soon.

Thanks for using Just Answer.