Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MBChB
111381268

I went for a routine CT scan to check something out about

Hello, I went for a routine CT scan to check something out about low sodium in my blood (all was fine, the bloods went back to normal) and they incidentally found that my left thyroid lobe is mildly enlarged, containing some nodules, and with retrosternal extension. They are recommending an ultrasound. I have no symptoms, and I'm not unwell, and now I am very worried unless it is cancer. It is very likely that a slightly enlarged thyroid lobe with nodules would be a symptom of cancer?
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: yes
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have menopausal issues and eczema, my endocrinologist thinks that my low sodium, which is now back to normal, was caused by steroid cream. I have mild high blood pressure and I'm on blood pressure medication

Hi, thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear about what's been going on. I suspect given your lack of symptoms that this isn't something of great concern but rather a goitre that's grown over time. An ultrasound will give them more idea of the texture and blood supply to it and then they can likely consider whether a biopsy is needed for more information. These are actually quite common and the majority are non-cancerous but it's always worth testing to be sure. The range quoted in medical literature varies but the majority suggest between 2.5 and 20% of such goitres may have a cancerous element so it is important to have further tests but less likely that it's something sinister if that makes sense. I've included a link to the British Thyroid Foundation for more information. I hope that helps.

https://www.btf-thyroid.org/thyroid-nodules-and-swellingsleaflet

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you Dr - does the fact that it is retrosternal extension make it more worrying or not?

You're very welcome. No not necessarily, it's just the direction of growth that's happened.