sofia khan
sofia khan, Doctor
Experience:  Consultant Family physician with special interest in dermatology at Rehman Medical Institute
101501929

I have a purple lump on my lip, I've had it for a couple of

I have a purple lump on my lip
JA: How long have you had the lump? Is it hard or soft?
Customer: I've had it for a couple of years, usually it's small but every now and again it flares up and gets slightly bigger. No pain though. It is quite hard
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so. Thank you

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. my name is*****

I am a board certified family physician with special interest in dermatology.

Is it possible for you to send me a clear picture of this lump?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
File attached (ZPLPSP3)
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Are those pictures and the video good enough?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thanks for getting back to me

let me have a look

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you. Based on symptoms I've seen online, seems like it could be a venous lake

Thank you for sending this.

You have seen it right! This is what it looks like. A venous lake happens due to chronic sun damage to superficial veins of the lip and blood tends to accumulate here. Although the exact cause is not known.

This tends to happen in the elderly but if you have a lot of sun exposure then it can happen at younger age as well.

This is generally nothing to worry about.

When you compress it with fingers, does it tend to blanch?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thanks for the info. Is there anything I can do about it? As I have had it for a while now. I have recently bought some sun protection for my lips. It doesn't seem to blanch at all when I compress it
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
It stays the same colour and feels very firm

If you are concerned about the cosmetic appearance then you can see a dermatologist privately for cryotherapy, IPL orvascular laser. However, you can leave it alone as well. It doesn't cause harm.

Other possibility is blue naevus, but again that is harmless too.

I hope this answers your question.

Please let me know if you have any further questions in this regard.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
you don't think it's anything I need to follow up or be concerned about unless purely for appearance?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
The only reason I ask is because I am young and wouldn't say I've been overly exposed to the sun. Also I struggle with anxiety so this sort of thing plays on my mind

I understand. Usually sun damage in these cases is cumulative. This means it happens over years. This doesn't happen suddenly.

I don't see any worrying features in your history and neither on the photograph.

However, virtual consultations have their limitations. I would suggest getting checked out in person by your GP as well, when ever you can to confirm the diagnosis. There is no urgency.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Understood. Thank you so much for your help! And I'm sorry I couldn't leave a tip, money is tight this month. I will book an in person appointment when I can. That's everything. Thanks again

You are welcome. I am glad you found the advice helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions in this regard.

All the best,

Dr Khan