Khizra Naz
Khizra Naz, Doctor
Experience:  GP
108331350

Does this sound like acid reflux? I have had the sensation

Does this sound like acid reflux?I have had the sensation off and on for as long as I can remember, certainly worse when I am stressed about something (in fact I sometimes realise I am stressed when the pain appears, as it only really occurs when I feel stressed). It feels like something stuck in my middle chest, right below where the ribs start, and sometimes feel it in the centre of my back or spine too. Strangely it often happens when I haven't eaten in a while, and eating or drinking something normally cures it straight away. Like I say it's been off and on for years, the pattern would be once every few months it will be quite a large acute discomfort in those areas, I'll eat some yoghurt or ice cream or milk or something to soothe it, it will go away and then just be an extremely mild off and on discomfort for the next week, like it's scarred from the initial attack for a little while, then it will be gone again for a few weeks/months.It's not there often enough for me to have ever tried any OTC treatment, since like I say it normally comes on if I haven't eaten in a while, am stressed, and I can solve it just by consuming something soothing.

Hello My name is***** will try my best to help you today.

I am really sorry that you are going through this. It must be really difficult for you.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Oh I should say as well, if I get the pain, I can sit up straight, push my chest out, and that seems to relieve it too. But the best way for it to go away like I say is simply for me to eat something.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
It's not really that difficult for me to be honest, it's just a very minor annoyance every now and then, I had it a few days ago and since I have an account here now I thought I might as well mention it basically.

Yes, the fact that milky things tend to sooth it, it is likely to be reflux. What have you tried as of now?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Well like I say, I learned when I was younger that some milk or ice cream would instantly make it go away, to be honest even water soothes it. I also remember realising that not eating it for a few hours tended to cause it. Then it is just gone. So I haven't felt any need to try any medication over the years. Generally I don't like to use medication unless normal stuff doesn't work I guess! I'll go for a lemon ginger tea for colds before reaching for the lemsip etc.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
When I was younger I thought something was actually stuck in there, it feels so much like that, but only when I read about acid reflux did I realise that's probably what was going on, but then always seemed strange that it only affected me when I hadn't eaten, rather than the reverse.

Yes, it is acid reflux. You should be started on omeprazole for this. It will help you in this regard.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Okay thanks!

Gaviscon will also help in your condition.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I guess it's okay to just continue as I have been though? Like I say it's very mild and goes away straight away if I eat something like that. I might just try the medicines you have mentioned if my milk etc. strategy fails

I would advise you to get treatment for this.