Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Consultant Pediatrician at Kanchi Kamakoti CHILDS Trust Hospital
101124971

Q Do i have HSV - 2 on my penis? Four years. I have recently

Q Do i have HSV - 2 on my penis?
JA: How long have you had HSV? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: Four years. I have recently startred to takr Valaciclovir
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about HSV?
Customer: Not since i was first diagnosed
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Not to my understanding. Maybe that i have recently came off anti depressents
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi,Back in 2017 I was diagnosed with HSV - 2. I had my primary outbreak in the buttocks region. Ever since then I have continued to have two outbreaks in that same region twice a year, which always clear up after around 10 days without the use of antiviralsAround four weeks ago an outbreak started within the same region as normal. About one week into the outbreak I noticed my penis was sore, and it has not got better after a whole month, despite my buttock outbreak heeling as normal. I've even started taking Valaciclovir to try and heel it. I am now wondering if this on my penis might be something different?It might be worth noting I came off my 50 mg sertraline one month ago.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I can send photos of the affected area if needed

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 16 years of experience in the field of Medicine at a tertiary care referral hospital.

Skin conditions are always best diagnosed and treated after seeing them directly. May I request you to upload some images please.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Sure
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
2
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
3

Please hold on.

1. Have you ever tested positive for genital herpes?

2. Is there any itching or burning or tingling sensation?

3. Did this start after any unprotected sexual intercourse?

4. Is there any personal or family history of autoimmune disorders?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
1 - Yes I tested positive in 2017.
2 - Some Burning yes, but I pass urine without any extra discomfort.
3 - Not form memory, no.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
3* may have had unprotected oral in the last few months
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
4 - Not to my understanding

This does not look like classical Herpes, with history - it is, yes.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
it doesn’t look like Herpes?

The look plus with the past history, it does.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Okay. Thanks. What did you mean by ‘dose not look like classical herpes’?

The bubbles would usually be larger and with red rim, but as it is not the first time, they are not classical.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Okay, so you would think it's a recurrent outbreak and not something else? Let me send a picture of how it looked 30 days ago
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Pic
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
This outbreak started while I was already having an outbreak in the buttocks region (seven days after)
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
That cleared within 10 days as normal, on the penis it has got better, then worse again and is still here
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
One week ago, looked better

Yes this looks like a Herpes outbreak getting better.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Just don’t understand how it got better and heeled, then it started to burn more again and looks like it currently dose, which is the worst it’s been

The medicines work best when people start them soon after an outbreak starts.

Choice of treatments -

Acyclovir - 800 mg three times daily for two days; or 800 mg twice daily for five days; or 400 mg three times daily for five days.

Famciclovir - 1000 mg twice daily for a single-day duration; or 125 mg twice daily for five days; or 500 mg once, followed by 250 mg twice daily for two days.

Valacyclovir - 500 mg twice daily for three days or 1000 mg once daily for five days.

To reduce the pain during an outbreak, you can, use a "Sitz bath" where you can sit in warm water for about 20 minutes. Your bathtub could also work.

Add ½ to 1 tablespoon (5 mL to 15 mL) of baking soda or 1 to 2 teaspoons (5 mL to 10 mL) of salt to the water in the plastic sitz bath. Swirl the water until the baking soda or salt dissolves. Carefully sit down in the plastic sitz bath and soak your bottom area for 10 to 15 minutes.

Avoid bubble baths. Keep the genital area clean and dry, and avoid tight clothes. Take over-the-counter pain medicine such as Tylenol or Advil.

But avoid Aspirin.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Okay, thanks for your time and advice

I am happy that my interaction was helpful for you.

In future you can opt me as your favorite medical expert so that you can ask me a question directly. I will be happy to help anytime.

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800