Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
23101880

I'm 64 and healthy, but concerned my blood pressure is often

Hello, I'm 64 and healthy, but concerned my blood pressure is often as low as 85/55. Is this anything to worry about? I used to have much higher blood pressure (140/80), but it went right down when I started a whole food plant based diet eight years ago. I was happy when it dropped to around 100/70, but 85/55 seems too low.

Hi! I am Dr Saleem. Welcome to JA.

Thank you for the question. I will be answering your query shortly.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you, ***** *****

I agree with you there. 85/55 seems too low and may cause unwanted symptoms like dizziness and loss of consciousness. It would be wise to see a doctor for this and get evaluated for heart disease as well as low cortisol levels. Both can lead to a drop in blood pressures.

Please let me know if you have any other queries. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you very much for your advice. When you say heart disease, do you mean plaque build up in arteries or other possible problems?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I would like to speak but unfortunately I am very deaf so can't hear on the phone.

It could be blockage in arteries or weakening of the heart muscle. The probability is low if you're otherwise healthy but it's always safer to get evaluated once for this.

The request for call is automatically generated by the website. Please ignore that if you don't want a call.

You're most welcome.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** I am very grateful.

My pleasure.