How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zee J Your Own Question
Zee J
Zee J,
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 226
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Zee J is online now

I have an ear infection. It is non utgent so I don't want to

Customer Question

I have an ear infection. It is non utgent so I don't want to bother doctor, is there anything 'over the counter' I could try.
JA: How long have you been dealing with the ear issue? Have you had any colds or flus recently?
Customer: About a week. No colds or flu.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: About a month ago I slipprd out of bed and banged ear on bedside cabinet,
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Zee J replied 16 days ago.

Hi there kindly answer following questions for further advice:

Age? Male or female?

Past medical history?

Any medicines using?

Smoking and alcohol?

Expert:  Zee J replied 16 days ago.

Hello r u there?

Expert:  Zee J replied 16 days ago.

To help relieve any pain and discomfort from an ear infection:

  • use painkillers such as paracetamol or ibuprofen (children under 16 should not take aspirin)

  • place a warm or cold flannel on the ear

  • remove any discharge by wiping the ear with cotton wool

  • do not put anything inside your ear to remove earwax, such as cotton buds or your finger

  • do not let water or shampoo get in your ear

  • do not use decongestants or antihistamines – there's no evidence they help with ear infections

Expert:  Zee J replied 16 days ago.

Please speak to a pharmacist, they can recommend acidic eardrops to help stop bacteria or fungus spreading.

Expert:  Zee J replied 16 days ago.

You need see a GP if you have:

  • a very high temperature or feel hot and shivery

  • earache that does not start to get better after 3 days

  • swelling around the ear

  • fluid coming from the ear

  • hearing loss or a change in hearing

  • other symptoms, like being sick, a severe sore throat or dizziness

  • regular ear infections

  • a long-term medical condition – such as diabetes or a heart, lung, kidney or neurological disease

  • a weakened immune system – because of chemotherapy, for example