Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Since contracting Covid-19 around 2 months ago I've

Customer Question

Hello, since contracting Covid-19 around 2 months ago I've struggled with nausea and uneasiness after eating and drinking and it's not getting any better. Is there anything you can advise for me?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I haven't seen a doctor and I'm not taking any medication for this issue.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I use a Symbicort budesonide/formoterol Turbuhaler daily to help with my breathing. I'm not allergic to any medication.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I use a Symbicort budesonide/formoterol Turbuhaler daily to help with my breathing. I'm not allergic to any medication.
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 11 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please hold on while I type out your answer. This can take a few minutes.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Okay, thank you.

This is most likely due to APD - acid peptic disorder or 'gas'. Acid peptic disorders can be of different types,in your case Acid reflux is most likely. This can cause loss of appetite with nausea.
Other causes of such loss of appetite can be stress, anxiety, chronic conditions like liver, kidney, etc. But diseases are unlikely for you. In your case acid peptic disorder along with stress are likely to be the cause of your symptoms.
For now, I would advise you to take the following steps taking this to be APD:

There are several OTC medicines which are generally safe which you can use for this. I would suggest Alka Seltzer two-three teaspoonfuls thrice daily. You should also take Cap. Prilosec 20 mg(OTC) once daily early in the morning. If you have any OTC anti acid medicines like Prilosec, etc you should take one now. You can also get it from the pharmacy if it is accessible. If you cannot get your hands on one right away, then have a glass of cold milk or ice cream. But get these from the pharmacy tomorrow.
Some other natural steps that you should take for control of these symptoms are:
*Cut down on alcohol and smoking
*have small frequent meals
*cut down on fried foods
*take sips of cold water or milk from time to time
These steps will give you relief. But do go to the doctor in the morning.
However, if it persists you need to show your doctor. You may need a thorough checkup by your doctor. But dont worry, these steps should be enough.

Also try to control your anxiety and stress, dont obsess about this.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.
If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome.. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** From what you've mentioned that sounds about right, I often feel the need to burp after eating or drinking anything. However, I'm not experiencing a loss of appetite. How long should I take the suggested medications? Until I no longer have any symptoms? and how long should I stop drinking alcohol, I'm a university student so indulging in alcohol is pretty common for me?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
would drinking non-fizzy alcohols rather than beers and ciders be beneficial?

You can try the medicines and avoiding alcohol for about two weeks, you should get relief by then. After that you can continue alcohol in moderation and also continue the medication.