Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  board certified internal medicine
19706630

I had a fall a few weeks ago and, physically, I'm happy that

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. I had a fall a few weeks ago and, physically, I'm happy that everything is mending as would be expected. However, over the past few days (since Thursday) I have been having some mental issues as we, eg some hallucinations. I just spoke to BUPA and they suggested that I need a scan and that I should speak you to see what ca be done
JA: What are all your symptoms? Have you talked to a doctor about hallucinations?
Customer: The hallucinations are seeing physical objects that are not there. I'm not being facaetious What I mean is that there is not a big scenario - I will just, for instance see a blue cat that seems very real to me
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about hallucinations?
Customer: No
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have a heart condition called BBBG (or something similar) that I have kind of neglectedCustomer: Chat is completed
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 17 days ago.
Hi. I’m Dr.Mark. I’m a board certified physician and happy to assist you. Sorry you’re having this problem. How old are you? Any headaches? On any medication?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 17 days ago.
I suggest you get a cat scan of the brain to see if there was bleeding from the fall. Have you seen your gp yet?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 17 days ago.
What causes hallucinations?
Mental health conditionsMental illnesses are among the most common causes of hallucinations. Schizophrenia, dementia, and delirium are a few examples.Substance useSubstance use is another fairly common cause of hallucinations. Some people see or hear things that aren’t there after drinking too much alcohol or taking drugs like cocaine.Hallucinogenic drugs like LSD and PCP can also cause you to hallucinate.Lack of sleepNot getting enough sleep can also lead to hallucinations. You may be more prone to hallucinations if you haven’t slept in multiple days or don’t get enough sleep over long periods of time.It’s also possible to experience hallucinations right before falling asleep, known as hypnagogic hallucinations, or right before waking up from sleep, known as hypnopompic hallucinations.MedicationsCertain medications taken for mental and physical health conditions can also cause hallucinations. Parkinson’s disease, depression, psychosis, and epilepsy medications may sometimes trigger hallucination symptoms.Other conditionsOther conditions can also cause hallucinations. These can include:high fevers, especially in children and the elderly
migraine
social isolation, particularly in older adults
seizures
deafness, blindness, or vision problems
epilepsy (in some cases, epileptic seizures can cause you to see flashing shapes or bright spots)
terminal illnesses, such as stage 3 HIV (AIDS), brain cancer, or kidney and liver failure
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I’m 48. No headaches and no medication. Haven’t seen a GP. If a go to A&E (Royal London) do I need a specific reference r can I be a walk in
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 17 days ago.
You can be a walk-in. No reference needed.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you. Do I need to tell them any further details than I have told you?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 17 days ago.
You’re welcome. Just tell what happened and about the hallucinations.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I think I understand so will just attend A&R
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 17 days ago.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thanks for your help. Have a good evening.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 17 days ago.
You’re welcome. Take care.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Oh one last thing if you are still aroind. Are there any resttictions on what I can eat before the scan?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 17 days ago.
No there aren’t.