Zee J
Zee J,
Experience:  Expert
113630574

My daughter has a rash on her back I have not seen before,

Customer Question

Hi my daughter has a rash on her back I have not seen before, she is mixed race pakistani/white and it looks like pigementation, no raised spots or blisters or anything
JA: How long have you had the rash? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: it appeared lastnight, she is currently taking a bath with tea tree oil
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the rash?
Customer: no
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no
Expert:  Zee J replied 17 days ago.

Hi there could you please upload picture if possible?

Also kindly answer following questions for further advice:

Age?

Past medical history?

Any medicines using?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
She is 11, nothing in medical history eg no allergies or serious illness, and not on any medication
Expert:  Zee J replied 17 days ago.

Is it itchy?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
it is mildly itchy, not too much though
Expert:  Zee J replied 17 days ago.

It looks like Tinea versicolor

It is a skin infection that causes areas of the skin to change color. The skin might have lighter patches, darker patches, or both light and dark patches.

Tinea versicolor is caused by a fungus. This fungus lives on people's skin and does not cause problems normally. But in some people, the fungus can cause tinea versicolor. This happens more often in people who live where the weather is hot and humid. Even though tinea versicolor is caused by fungus, it does not spread from one person to another. It is not "contagious."

Expert:  Zee J replied 17 days ago.

Pityriasis versicolor can be treated with antifungal medicines. These are available as shampoos, creams and tablets.

Expert:  Zee J replied 17 days ago.

Pityriasis (Tinea) versicolor is same

Expert:  Zee J replied 17 days ago.

Antifungal shampoos (such as ketoconazole or selenium sulphide shampoo) are often the first treatment recommended for Tinea versicolor.

These are available to buy over the counter from pharmacies, or a GP can prescribe them.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
ive just googled that and it looks nothing like it. After a bath it has greatly reduced so i think its just dry skin
Expert:  Zee J replied 17 days ago.

Ok then best of luck