Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Lower back pain, no surgery, no anything else

Customer Question

lower back pain
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: no surgery
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no anything else
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 10 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age and gender?

How long have you been having these symptoms?

Have you seen a doctor for this? Any tests done?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I'm 64 years old woman
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have started these symptoms yesterday night
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I can't move or go out from bed
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I haven't seen any doctor yet and I have not done any tests
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
helloooo

This is most likely an acute back pain due to muscle spasm.
Back pain is one of the commonest diseases in humans. It may be caused by a wide variety of lesions, but is often quite harmless and relieved by simple measures.

If you are having an internal pain in the back rather than in the muscle area, other causes of back pain like renal stones and GIT issues like diverticulitis also need to be excluded. Hence you must determine whether the pain seems to be internal or in the muscle area.

Back pain is most commonly due to muscle pain. The measures that you should take are:
Avoid stressing the back - avoid anything like lifting heavy objects, standing for long periods, bending forwards. For now give rest for 1 day. Lie mostly on the bed as far as possible for the day, but do gentle stretching exercises.
Warm compresses- warm compresses are often helpful. You can also go for deep warmth with ultrasound and lasers which can be given at physiotherapist clinics.

Massage: a hand held massager if available can work wonders.
Tab. Motrin 200 mg - take one tab. twice daily.

Lumbar belt: this is available at pharmacies. Use a soft lumbar belt specially when moving about.

Firm mattress: your mattress should not be too soft or too hard. Use a firm mattress.
Physiotherapy: do gentle exercises for the back - start gently on the bed itself as long as the pain is there, but once you recover you must continue doing these exercises so that they do not recur. Look up here for exercises:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6CMso14NWk

If the pain lasts for a long period, gets more severe or becomes recurrent, you have to show your doctor to rule out spinal causes.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti