Zee J
Zee J,
Experience:  Expert
113630574

Finger Hurt! I got my finger nail stuck in the door and

Finger Hurt!
I got my finger nail stuck in the door and badly hurt myself. Skin under nail has gone black. Its very painful and I seek your advice.
Is this something i should get looked at? Finger is moving fine but I am concerned about this black underneath. Is it blood?

It is subungual haematoma which is a collection of blood in the space between the nail bed and fingernail.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Do I need to worry? Get it checked?

How is the pain? Have you taken any painkillers?

A painless and small subungual hematoma usually requires no treatment. However, the pressure generated by pooled blood under the nail can be extremely painful.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
It is painful. I took 2 nurophen tablets this morning. Shall I take more?

Yes you can:

Paracetamol 500mg tablets can be taken as 2 tablets every 6 hourly (maximum 8 tablets in 24 hours safely)

Ibuprofen 200mg tablets can be taken as 2 tablets three times a day (maximum 6 tablets in 24 hours safely).

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Finger is now very swallow
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Do I need to worry?

Is it more painful? if not normal recovery process.

However, If you are really worried can have X ray to rule out any bony injury. Otherwise pain killers are enough

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Not painful, only if touch on nail.

If you are really worried can have X ray to rule out any bony injury. Otherwise pain killers are enough

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am just worried if blood collected underneath the nail causing the swollen ness? If yes will this swollen further?

Swelling is a sign that your immune system is repairing your wound. The blood vessels widen to ease blood flow and send oxygen, vitamins, and minerals to your injury.

So could ne normal recovery process if not excessive painful and not infected

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks a lot