Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, including surgery, general medicine, and pain.
18722459

My blood pressure has been elevated for the past two weeks,

Customer Question

My blood pressure has been elevated for the past two weeks, top number goes up to 150s and bottom number worries me the most. It is often in the 90s but has been over 100 and some scary readings of 115ish and one of 121 that went down again.. i have severe heath anxiety and my GP asked me to take my bp readings twice a day for a week. I went off sick today and it has been coming down gradually but the bottom number still often over 100. I am reluctant to go on meds as i am trying to move jobs and change my lifestyle, went back to the gym doing morning cardio and am eating no salt. I am 39 weigh 14 st 9 and have pcos. Do you think I can watch and wait with this sort of bp? I spoke to 111 twice last week and they did not think it was stroke level although I am worried and moreso when i have to monitor it regularly. I have had some chest tightness (mild) and lightheadedness when it is higher. Any advice would be helpful.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 14 days ago.

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Not stroke level but if it continues for a long time it can damage your kidneys

I think with your lifestyle changes it will improve and you won't need medication

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
When should I be worried? Readings over what numbers and for how long before i go to a&e? Are there tests i should be asking for in order to diagnose heart or organ damage from the past few weeks?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 14 days ago.

150/100 or higher consistently would need medication

No real damage right now but simple blood work can check your kidneys

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi my average for last 7 days is 142/104.8 i have sent this to my gp
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Do you think it is very high?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 13 days ago.

Not very high but high enough to require medication

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Oh no.. I am keen to avoid medication. Before the last two weeks it was always around 90s-100. As I have chronic stress is it worth waiting for a few weeks to see if it comes down without meds?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 13 days ago.

You can wait and see