Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, including surgery, general medicine, and pain.
18722459

My dad also has been having severe swelling in his feet.

Customer Question

Hi there again, my dad also has been having severe swelling in his feet. He’s had a double hip replacement (last op Jan 2021) and have swelled since but we obviously don’t think this is to do with the operation anymore. He has Parkinson’s and diabetic just started insulin but his feet seemed to balloon then go down but now constantly swelled. I have attached pictures for your reference if you have any advice I can take to the doctors with me as they more or less say it’s to do with mobility from the op.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 12 days ago.

Hi again

Does he walk and get around?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
he is walking around and pottering around the house most days but not excessive as he’s struggled since the op with his Parkinson’s. He has a trainer twice a week to help etc.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 12 days ago.

Are the feet swollen all the time?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
at the moment they have been swelled constantly. To begin with they would swell then go down but now constant swelling and almost indent if you push an area of it
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 12 days ago.

While this could be from congestive heart failure or kidney failure I don't think that's the case with him

Most likely it's from incompetent valves in his leg veins that allows the blood to pool in his feed

Nothing dangerous about that

I'd have him wear thigh high compression stockings

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok no problem - thanks very much again it’s appreciated.I’ll be getting him in with his GP but if I need any external advice I’ll get back in touch again you’ve been very helpful.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 12 days ago.

I'm here whenever you need me